Chapter 23, somber news

It had been nearly a week since Craig found out he could control who sees him, and I had realized that it's not necessarily the best predicament for me to be in.  Imagine this, you're just minding your own business, sipping your coffee, when suddenly - POOF! - your demon-friend-thing gets mad at you and literally vanishes into thin air. 
Of course I know he's still there, only invisible, but it's unimaginably unsettling when you don't know where your personal demon is lurking.  He could be under my bed, right beside me, or even in the shower!  Which by the way, Craig is wrong, that totally does counts as sexual harassment.

Craig fiddled with his hat strings, twirling them tightly around his pointer finger only to unravel and repeat as he laid comfortably on my bed.  I tapped my pencil, listening to my phone repeatedly dinging and buzzing with texts.  How am I suppose to do homework like this?  If you told me last year that I would be complaining about people texting me, I'd probably call you out for being bat-shit crazy.

I tugged at my blonde locks when the familiar ding rung through my ears once again, letting a small grunt out as I picked up the illuminating phone to read what was presented on the screen.

Clyde & Token
Clyde: Tweeeeeeek!

Clyde & Token
Token: Hey Tweek

Clyde & Token
Clyde: TWeEEk

Clyde & Token
Token:  Come on Tweek answer.

   I had made it a habit of texting Token and Clyde when I got a chance, but I hadn't realized having friends would be like this.  I gripped onto the beginning of a rising panic attack by the skin of my teeth, letting my finger swipe over the phone screen, turning it off. It sat now silent in my hand as I stared down at the black screen, entranced by the reflection I dreaded seeing etched dimly throughout the clear glass.  Suddenly, a radiating warmth next to my neck sent me into a shock, all the blood in my body spiraling to my cheeks; throwing my phone up and struggling multiple times to catch it afterwards. I swiftly sent a stern glare to the culprit, the one with the wise idea to breathe into my neck like a creep, only letting him get a small glimpse at his success of reddening my otherwise pale cheeks. Going completely based off of the little smug upturn of his mouth, I assumed he noticed it.

"Who's texting?"  Craig asked quietly, planting his hand on the desk and shifting his weight onto it - he was so close to me now that there was a web of entangled limbs brushing against one another innocently.

"Who do you think?"  I responded without bothering to look around, refocusing my attention to the equation in front of me.

I knew the two had grown suspicious of me, it wasn't hard to catch on that I was hiding something, but the situation last week really set things off the radar.

-Last Friday during lunch-

"-I told you, Token!" Clyde yelled as he stood up in the bench we all sat at, nearly tumbling backwards as he hit his knees on the table.

Token rolled his eyes and caught Clyde by his Collar, "Shut up, dude.  No one cares if water is wet or not."  He grumbled, pulling our friend back down to his seat, letting his fingers linger against Clyde's shirt before taking back his hand. I chuckled at their homey bickering and relaxed into the table in front of me.

As I glanced to the corner of my eye, noticing non other than Craig - No doubt up to something. Sure enough, the moment I look away, a wet sensation slides past my ear lobe; sending goosebumps down my spine and an arch through my body.

"CRAIG!" I yelped suddenly through panicked lips, slapping them shut in dismay immediately after.

In perfect synchronization, Token and Clyde shot up and widened their expressions in terror.

"Craig???"

-Flashback end-

It's true I hadn't spoken to them since - Which in some ways may be considered running away from the situation - but they were pushing it too far! Calls, texts, emails; first of all, what? I didn't even know I had an email. A comforting hand caressed my elbow, sending my eyes to behind me where Craig was hovering considerately.

"Chill, they'll prolly' forget about it soon anyways, Tweekers."

I spun around in my chair, nearly taking out Craig's knees in the process as I quickly stood up against him. Grabbing his cheeks in my hands and gently tugging his lush lips into a frown, I scowled.

"But what if they don't, Tucker?" I asked desperately, tilting my head in an almost pup like whine. Despite the increasing gravity I had put against his squished cheeks, he crookedly smiled.

"Gwuess wu'll havf to tell them then." He slurred.

I rolling my eyes as I released his face, I found myself suddenly throwing my arms up in irritation as I reluctantly tackled my bed. Silence knocked at the walls while I waited for any signs of change; my head buried in an excruciating soft pillow. Suddenly there were footsteps, a brief moment of silence, and a sudden "oomph" in which had escaped my mouth as the weight of Craig Tucker was thrown on top of me. I could hardily grumble any complains through the suffocation of gentle feathers in pillowcases. A soft knock on my door signaled the release of weight as Craig shifted to lean on his side.

"Tweek, honey?" My mother's simple voice croaked through a small crack she had opened in the door. I raised myself from my bed to look at her eyes. Those eyes were filled with sorrow and swept with water. A soft pink puff to her cheeks from irritation contrasted her blue eyes.

"Mom?" I semi-frantically struggled to get up from my bed as I stole a quick nervous glance to a confused Craig.

"Mom." I said again as I brushed past the door and clicked it shut behind me. "Are you alright."

She hesitated, a dry mouth clearly struggling to pour out a sea of words. She drew out a long breath in, held it with high eyes, and then spoke.

"I have.. not good news." She nervously ran a hand through my untamed blonde locks, pushing it up wildly in distaste.

"We are going on a quick trip to Sweden."

Shock radiated through my mind.

"Umm, wh- wait, why?" I raised my head in concern.

She looked anywhere but my eyes.  If I knew my mom - which I do - then she only does that when something terrible happens; like back in 2007 when the doggy pad indecent happened -She didn't look at me for a full week.

"Because a death has happened in the family;"

Suddenly her eyes locked to mine as she finished, signaling all the color from my eyes to drain to my hole of a stomach.

"Your grandmother just got off the phone with me to tell me that grandpa has passed."

My mouth ran dry.

Shiiiit, today really sucks.