Chiron

I've watched so many heros grow up and die. Even worse are the ones who don't get to grow up. Nothing can prepare you for those. Not even seeing it for hundred and thousands of years.

But this group . . . Yes I feel like they just might beat the odds.

It started when Annabeth and Luke crossed the boarder. I felt like it was the start of something. I didn't know what but I knew that something was going to happen. And it might not end well.

Then there was Percy . . . When I first met the boy, I was a bit confused. Confused about why Grover had called me here. But then . . . I got to know him.

When I pushed the boy away I couldn't help but feel bad. It wasn't on purpose, it was just badly chosen words. The phrases I wanted to say couldn't form and I messed up. But the he got to camp.

I had a feeling I knew who his father was, after all he was a carbon copy in the looks department. And there was the natural discord between him and Annabeth. Those two . . . I waited to see what became of that.

When Percy was claimed I knew what had to happen. I wasn't happy with it but it had to be. So I sent them on the quest. And when they got back . . . I couldn't be any prouder. Percy had really proved himself and Annabeth seemed to have made a new friend.

And I stupidly thought all would be better, even though I knew the prophecy. I knew that he would have to deal with a lot but, so soon? That was until the next summer. I had to leave and couldn't even teach.

But . . . Yet again Percy and Annabeth prevailed. This time Percy even stood against Luke. I was so happy to see them that I didn't even think that Percy would have questions. I guess I never really took into account just how amazing it was that he could do all of this with only a summer's worth of training under his belt.

He only trained during summers after all, and those summers were always interrupted. I some time wonder how swiftly things would have been solved if he had been raised at camp like Annabeth, or Luke. How things could have been different if Percy had turned into Luke. He had plenty of reason to.

Oh how many reasons the gods did give him to turn against them.

First there was blaming him for the lightning bolt even though he had just found out about his father. Then they took his mother, and for Percy that is almost unforgivable. To this day I don't think Percy has forgotten exactly what Hades did to Sally.

Then there was the whole ordeal with Thalia's tree, how they blamed me when it was so very clear what was happening. Next he was introduced to Thalia herself. He didn't envy her power, but he felt like he had been used. That since the daughter of Zeus was back, he was even more worthless than he had at first thought.

Of course Thalia's treatment of the boy at first did nothing to help. She was proud and indignant, thinking that Percy was just an inexperienced kid that needed to leave. But after Annabeth got taken, she blamed him. She blamed Percy for Annabeth being taken even though there was nothing he could have done.

Then they got into a fight during capture the flag. And I saw the look on her face as he got up from her lightning strike and lifted the river. Percy didn't because of the Oracle and he was so blinded my rage. Because he also blamed himself.

He blamed himself for everything, ever. He blamed himself for the lives lost to the war, on both sides. He blamed himself for every scar on Annabeth or any of his friends.

After he snuck out to go get Annabeth-I knew that's why he had gone. He never really cared about Artemis, of course he knew it was important that she get back but. That boy only cared that his friend, Annabeth no less, was in danger.

After the quest, when Thalia took the spot in the Hunters I had to think. Because Percy didn't know why Thalia had taken it. He didn't know it wasn't just to postpone the prophecy. Thalia did it so she wouldn't be the subject. She didn't want to deal with it, thought she couldn't.

Thalia thought that Percy, especially with the time he had, could do it. She had faith, going on the quest with him proved to her that she was wrong about him. Next quest he had to dive into the Labyrinth.

He, Annabeth, Grover, and Tyson, all went on the quest. Percy was turning out to be very powerful, very good with a sword and a great leader. People in camp already looked to him and Annabeth like they were the unofficial guides of camp. They had been on more quest than anyone, killed more monsters than anyone.

When we thought Percy had died . . . The whole camp was . . . It was like you had ripped away the only source of light. The only inspiration. Because, if the son of Poseidon, the one who did all those amazing things and was still kind and humble, was gone . . . Where did that leave them?

But the look on Annabeth's face when she spotted Percy. When she ran a d tackled him, that when that cloud was lifted off. When the sigh of relief through the camp could be heard. He was alright. Hope was still alright. Then there was the mess with Annabeth herself . . . She always did let her guards slip around the son of Poseidon.

The next summer came war. And Percy rose to meet it head on. He did things I had no idea he could, or anyone could, manage. He became a true leader and warrior. But the whole time, he wasn't thinking about himself.

He was thinking about his mother, his friends, his family. His city. And that's what always separated him from others, that mentality of protecting over glory. He gave everyone else credit and took none for his own.

Every time.

And when the war was over it was wonderful. Until Percy was ripped away from us. Until the camp once again became desolate and depressed. Because their leader and friend was missing, gone, left with no trace.

And their other leader . . . She was just as gone. She was panicked and paranoid. She would growl and glare at whoever asked about him. When Jason and the others were found, it only got worse.

Because they had gotten new campers, but were still missing an old one. The one who got them through so much. The one who without him the world would be gone.

With the end of the trio's quest came answers, but also more questions. I tried my best to console and counsel, but I was sworn to oaths so ancient that I had no control. But finally the could leave to get Percy.

The camp was excited and on edge, they knew where their leader was and knew he would be back soon.

But more battle came first, and Percy and Annabeth went through things. The leader who had left then was not the one that came back. No this man was still Percy but different. He was more aware, more on edge.

But he was back. And looking at these Hero's that accomplished so much . . . It was worth it. Every tear and ounce of she'd blood was worth it. Because these heros could do anything, would do anything.

And that's just the bare basics of my thoughts.