{ Prologue }

═════════════

═════════════

ASGARD
A few days after the battle of New York

═════════════

THE THRONE ROOM of the Asgardian palace was as stunning as Angie remembered it. She hadn't been there in a few hundred years but gold still flashed dazzlingly everywhere she looked. The throne itself stood on an elevated platform, in the centre of the room, and on it, sat the most powerful being in the nine realms.

Odin gestured for her to approach as soon as she walked in. She couldn't decipher the expression on his face, but at least he wasn't looking at her with contempt. It wasn't like he had any reason to, but with someone like Odin, you just never knew what excuse he could find to be ticked off. He reminded her a lot of Nick Fury in that aspect.

To be fair though, Odin had always held her in high esteem; even before she became Loki's companion and after they ended it. There was a time - a lifetime ago - where she even hoped he'd be the positive father figure she never had. It hadn't been quite like that, but they always got along well.

"You called for me, Allfather?"

Actually, she was surprised he hadn't called her in earlier. After the battle of New York and her return to Asgard along with Thor and a chained up Loki, she had spent a few days in the castle, in the room they settled her in. Odin must've wanted to give her time to rest before the inevitable debriefing session.

"Yes child. Come," he gestured for her to climb the stairs to the platform of his throne.

"I have heard of what happened to your realm," he began solemnly "I would like to offer you my sincere condolences, in the name of Asgard. The eight realms mourn for Jötunheim."

"Thank you, Allfather," she nodded politely. The sentiment was nice, although slightly unexpected.

Historically speaking, Asgard and Jötunheim were never really on good terms. Her parents, each being from one of the two rival planets, were regarded as a pretty abnormal pair. She didn't think Odin would've blinked twice upon hearing the news of the destruction of Jötunheim, much less mourn for it. But then again, he was probably just saying that to make her feel better. It was a courtesy she appreciated nonetheless.

"And please accept my condolences for the loss of your Father," Odin continued.

This time around, Angie almost rolled her eyes. Come on, he doesn't have to pretend. Odin positively hated Himnir and heaven knows she didn't blame him.

Her father had been the biggest jerk in the nine realms. He was part of the private intercosmic council, which is what brought him to Asgard in the first place. Himnir had been a very powerful man but his obstinate, hostile and despotic ways inspired more loathing than anything else.