5 - A WHOOSHING SOUND

IT DIDN'T TAKE LONG for Angie to retrieve her spear from the detainment area. She found it still lodged in the lock of Sam's cell. All that emotional rollercoaster probably made her forget it there.

She grabbed the shaft of the weapon and pulled it out swiftly.

The others must've been close to the exit at that point, and so Angie began running as fast as her legs could carry her to catch up with them... but a distant whooshing sound stopped her dead in her tracks.

It sounded like a rocket being fired without the explosion. Looking around, her surroundings seemed to be completely deserted which unnerved her even more. After a moment of pause to catch her breath, she reached for her earpiece to contact Morse and Hunter.

"Agents, what's your location?" she called out, looking around frantically for anything that might pop out of nowhere.

"We're already in the jet!" Bobbi exclaimed.

"All six of you?" she was surprised but definitely glad they made it out so fast.

"Yes, all of us... where are you?"

"I'm still inside," she wasn't sure where she was exactly but she couldn't have been far from the exit at this point "Did you hear that sound?!"

There was some fumbling on the other end of the line. Angie frowned, listening closely as Morse or Hunter seemed to be taking off their earpieces — or rather someone was taking it off from them.

"Angie, it's me."

"Clint, what's going on?!"

"Listen, we're all on the jet and we're waiting for you. Don't worry about us, just worry about getting yourself out, okay?"

"What are you talking about?!" she felt increasingly more tense even though nothing had really happened. Her gut feeling was telling her that wasn't going to last.

"You trust me, right?"

Angie let out an irritated sigh. She hated when people spoke in codes and this was the worst time to do it "Of course I do. What the hell is happening?!"

"Then trust me when I tell you this: run."

Her mouth hung open slightly, a horrid feeling made the hair rise on the back of her neck "Are you crazy, you can't—"

"Angie, just run!"

Her arm fell back to her side. It took a second to gather her strengths, but once she did, she was racing madly toward the nearest exit. The unconscious bodies of the guards still littered the floor of the unit and she came close to tripping on them several times. It didn't take long before catching sight of the open gate and the pitch black sky outside.

She couldn't believe Clint was hiding something from her at this critical time, but maybe he had his reasons. Either way, she was almost there, she would find out soon enough.

Angie held on to the edge of the gate, looking down at the depth under her. The ocean spread a couple dozen meters under her feet. The height of the jump wasn't unnerving but the darkness of the water definitely was. She didn't know why she was feeling so tense, especially since she had swum in those exact waters on the way in. She just couldn't shake off the bad feeling in her gut.

Angie could make out the silhouette of the Quinjet close to the surface, ready to pick her up.

"What are you waiting for? Come on!" Clint's voice resonated in her earpiece.

She glanced at the water under her feet and closed her eyes, but just as she was about to make the jump... she heard the whooshing sound again, it was much closer this time... and it was getting louder by the second.