16 - A NEW THREAT

IT TOOK A WHILE to convince Angie he was being completely serious. To be fair, he had a hard time wrapping his head around it himself. After the shitstorm of the Sokovia Accords and the dismantlement of the Avengers, Earth had never been more vulnerable. If this new threat was real, it was the worst time for it.

Angie didn't know what to think. If some alien warlord was about to invade her new home, there was no way she'd stand by and watch it happen. It was clear in her mind she was going to fight for Earth, just like she had four years ago.

Steve tried to answer all her questions but it wasn't like he had much information to begin with. He was just the messenger and that mysterious woman in Wakanda had stayed exasperatingly elusive.

For now, all they could do was keep an eye out for anything out of the ordinary — whatever ordinary was, these days. Until this threat became more concrete, there wasn't much else on the horizon.

When it was time to part ways, Angie realised that she had positively no idea when she was going to see Steve again. It could've been a month, or it could've been years... for now, saying goodbye felt a lot like a farewell.

"You could come with me, you know," he told her "Living on the run isn't the glam life but you're not a target, so you could get out of it whenever you wanted. Natasha and I are doing some good where we can; It's not like being an Avenger but it's worthwhile."

Angie smiled softly "I can't leave Tony, Steve."

He paused for a short moment. Of course he knew she'd say that "I'm glad you're with him, you know... I don't like the idea of Tony rattling around a mansion by himself."

She chuckled a little before looking back at him in earnest "You know he will forgive you eventually," she muttered "Just give him some time."

"Yeah..." Steve trailed off, running a hand through his hair "Tell him I'm sorry I hurt him. I thought by not telling him about his parents I was sparing him but... I know I was really sparing myself. Hopefully one day he can understand."

"And one day you'll tell him that yourself."

Steve shook his head with a slight chuckle "One day."

His arms closed in around her as the two old friends said their goodbyes. Deep down they both knew there was a slim chance of seeing each other again.

"So let me get this straight... you lied to me?!"

Angie groaned in frustration. It was hard to keep a straight face when Tony's eyes were drilling holes through her. She couldn't say she hadn't seen this coming.

"I just told you there's an alien invader on his way to Earth and this is all you got from it?!"

"Listen I..." he leaned back on his seat, rubbing his eyes tiredly "I don't even know what to think... I just can't believe you lied to me!"

To be honest, she did feel guilty about that little detail, but it wasn't like she was going to show it. Not while Tony was being so accusing.

She rolled her eyes for good measure "Sorry."

He scoffed "You're not even trying to sound sincere."

"You're right about that. I'm not sorry at all," she snapped "Steve is my friend, I don't need your permission to see him!"

"He's a criminal!"

Her eyes immediately narrowed "Come on, don't pretend you actually believe that."