19 - BRAZIL

SOME THIRTY THOUSAND feet above the ground, the Stark Industries private plane hovered over South America. Angie fiddled nervously with the shaft of her spear. The red dress she had been wearing a few hours earlier was crumpled in a corner. She had slipped into her signature black suit and boots, far more appropriate for what was awaiting them.

At her side, Tony was clicking away at a tablet, making sure the plane stayed right on track. Once Dr. Selvig knew what he was looking for, he ended up digging some surprisingly precise coordinate for the most likely location of the Hellhound's spaceship. His calculations were leading them into the thick of the Brazilian Amazon rainforest. If they got there quickly, they might still be able to retain the element of surprise.

Tony went to speak with the pilot for a few minutes. He came back and plummeted on his seat.

"We've got the turbos on but it'll be another hour before we get to the location," he told Angie with a sigh.

She glanced at the cockpit pensively "We got lucky. What were the odds that we'd end up in the middle of nowhere? Hopefully there won't be any casualties when things go sideways."

"When or if?"

She cocked an eyebrow, glancing at him. They did get lucky but not to the point where they'd avoid fighting someone with a name like the Hellhound.

"Okay, it's more of a when," Tony admitted "When have aliens ever wanted anything but to wreak havoc, am I right?"

"Ahem..."

"Except you of course," he quickly added "And Thor, I guess."

She cracked a smile "You know this is just like old times."

"Kind of..." he paused for a second "I mean we are down five Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D to back us up but—"

"Seriously, I was trying to have a dramatic moment, do you have to ruin it?"

As always, that kind of snide comment ended in them teasing each other back and forth, as they always did. Their talk was so normal and harmless, it contrasted heavily with the urgency of the situation. Angie caught herself yearning for what would happen after all this was over. For the first time in years, she could not wait to get home. For the first time in years, it felt like she actually had a home.

But that wasn't entirely accurate; over the course of the last few months, home had ceased to be a place for her, and had become a person. Specifically, home had become Tony.

She was brought out of her thoughts by some mild turbulences. The plane was rocking a little bit and the pilot told them they were fast approaching their destination.

"Tony?"

His head snapped towards her "Yes?"

She felt a light graze on her hand as Tony's fingertips swept her skin. It was a timid, hesitant touch but it awakened her instantly. She wished she could tell him something worthwhile, something to last them through all this, especially if things turned bad. But in that moment, her brain just couldn't formulate a thought, at least not one based on any language.

"Mr. Stark, Miss Dean," Jenkins, the pilot called out from the cockpit "We're there... you're gonna want to see this."

In an instant, they both turned to the nearest window and a silent gasp escaped their lips.

The plane was flying over a green immensity. The Amazon rainforest in all its glory: thick bushes and trees, rivers, plains and hills, as far as the eye could see. The only stain in this spectacular landscape was the one that had immediately caught their attention.