18 - ABNORMAL NUMBERS

THE BALLROOM WAS SPLENDID. Dazzling chandeliers reflected on pristine marble columns. The floor bustled with men in polished tuxedos and women in elegant gowns. A band was playing classical music in the background of the humming of conversations and champagne glasses clicking together.

For a second, it reminded Angie of the banquets she used to attend in Asgard. The crucial difference being that she didn't have to entertain uninteresting conversations with complete strangers back then. For the past hour, it was pretty much what she had been doing, although, to be fair, Tony was taking on most of the work.

People — physicists, engineers, the elite of Earth's researchers, apparently — swarmed around him like bees, and around her, by proxy. Much to her surprise, no one had second-guessed her credentials or questioned her identity, just like Tony assured.

They were both playing a part for the night, that much was clear in their heads. Tony was the brilliant but eccentric billionaire people were used to seeing — the part he had basically played most of his life. Angie, on the other hand, was the sophisticated Biotech scientist whose range of skills didn't really fit in an Astrophysics summit, but was mostly there as Tony's plus one.

So far, they hadn't dug up anything very interesting, nothing that hinted at an impending Alien invasion. By some miracle, they found themselves left alone for the first time of the night and took it as an opportunity to retreat to the bar where they could have some peace.

A waiter passed by with a tray of champagne flutes. Angie grabbed one on the fly and emptied it in a few gulps.

"Slow down, we just got here. That's what the after-party's for," Tony told her, amused.

"You forget my alcohol tolerance is much higher than you, humans," Angie remarked "I couldn't get drunk on champagne if I wanted to."

He chuckled "Relax. You're doing great so far. Just pretend you're in your element."

She cocked an eyebrow "I've never been further away from my element in my entire existence."

This made Tony snort rather loudly, making a few eyes turn their way.

"Great. Now everyone's looking at us," Angie grumbled.

He smirked again, leaning against the counter of the bar "Hate to break it to you Angie, but they've all been looking at you since we got here."

Angie immediately stiffened "What? Why?"

"First, because you're with me."

She rolled her eyes. If they hadn't been in public she would've probably punched his arm "Okay, wow..."

"But mostly," Tony quickly added "Because you clean up nice."

Angie's eyes narrowed "What does that even mean?"

"It means you look stunning, Angie."

"Oh heavens, no, don't start."

It was Tony's turn to roll his eyes "God forbid you ever accept a compliment."

She smiled a little sheepishly "Sorry, it's not that. I'm here for one thing only. I just want to get the job done."

He shrugged and grabbed a champagne flute "As much as I would've preferred showing up in a band t-shirt, we do have to blend in, Angela Dean."

"Don't pretend you're not enjoying this," her eyes narrowed.

Tony laughed humorlessly "I guess it used to be my world once upon a time..." he shrugged again "Kinda outgrew the pompous parade, you know?"