23 - OVERLORD

ANGIE HESITATED FOR a long time, standing stiffly in front of the control room where Fenrir waited for her. She finally mustered the courage to move, making no sound as she walked in. Fenrir's tall and dark silhouette was leaned over a control panel, his back facing her. He still felt her presence somehow.

"He was beaten to a pulp," she muttered quietly "You said he wouldn't be harmed."

The sight of Tony bruised and slumped against the wall still made her shudder. How could Fenrir allow this? He had promised.

"Really?" her brother cocked an eyebrow "I did not give that order. I'm sorry."

He wasn't sorry at all, that much was clear. But at least he seemed genuinely surprised, perhaps he was telling the truth for once. Either way, it was best to let it go if she had any hope of getting him off Tony's back.

"Come closer," Fenrir said "I want to show you something."

He was fiddling with the holographic forms coming out of the control panel. Spheres, trails and various bluish shining specks pivoted around him in an orderly motion. It looked like the model of a solar system.

He stayed quiet for a long moment, even as Angie approached.

"Fenrir..." she muttered, pulling him out of his trance.

It was still odd to hear that name said out loud. He almost didn't answer.

The truth was, he hadn't been called by his real name in decades. To Lord Thanos, he had only ever been 'the Boy', to his warriors, he was 'the General', to everyone else, he was 'the Hellhound'... but to this sister, he was just Fenrir.

It's been a long time since he had been just Fenrir.

Oblivious to his train of thoughts, Angie's eyes were riveted to the hologram of a spherical shape in her brother's hand. A planet.

"This is Morag, in the Zetwe galaxy," he finally said, holding up the bluish sphere "Its people are no warriors but their technology is quite impressive. The weather is great most of the year; and you'd love their royal palace, it's an architectural beauty."

She glanced up at him "Are you their publicist? Why are you telling me this?"

"Because my troops recently annexed Morag on behalf of Lord Thanos. The planet is now his to rule over."

Angie blinked a few times, making sure she heard properly. Already, she could feel the anger bursting in her chest. Her brother was an invader and a colonizer. It made her tremble with disgust.

"What happened to letting people rule over themselves?"

He ignored her clearly disapproving tone "Since it was recently taken over, Morag doesn't have a governor yet."

Her eyes widened "A... governor?!"

Fenrir shrugged "Lord Thanos needs someone trustworthy to keep his peace on Morag... that could be you, Angrboda."

"M-Me?!"

He nodded "I could vouch for you. He trusts me enough not to question my judgment. You would be an invaluable addition to Thanos' empire. If you proved yourself to him, he would repay you better than you can imagine!"

Angie was stunned "Do... do you hear yourself?!" she berated "You want me to tyrannize a whole race of people in the name of your insane overlord?!"

His brow furrowed in contempt "I am offering you the chance of ruling over your own planet, it's a great honor!"

"You have completely lost the plot! If you think I'm going to be an accomplice in your sick quest to dominate the universe, you don't know me at all!"