13 - A STRANGER

Upstate New York, A Few Miles Away from the New Avengers Facility

The sun had already started peaking through the horizon when Angie finished her account. The first rays of early dawn mirrored on her face, making her tearful eyes shine brightly.

Tony racked his brain for something appropriate to say, but nothing would come out. It wasn't often that Tony Stark was at a loss for words, but somehow, Angie always had spectacular ways of rendering him speechless.

All he could process was the newfound surge of admiration for the woman in front of him. He always knew she had been through more hardship than most people would in a lifetime; but now it was all aligning perfectly, like a string of pearls.

"Has it gotten easier to talk about it?" he asked in a low voice, not really sure why he had chosen to break the silence with that one question.

She didn't answer right away, instead letting her gaze linger over the skyline which had taken a dark orange tint "Has it gotten easier to talk about your parents?" she finally answered.

He was a little taken aback by her question but immediately understood where she was coming from. No, it never got easier. It probably never would.

"At least now you know," she continued, blinking away the tears forming in her eyes.

"I understand," Tony nodded "Why you had to stay away for so long. I wish you hadn't, but I get it," he paused for a second "You know, these few years have been hellish and miserable but you... you were my one good memory... and I would go through it all again if it meant I got to spend more time with you."

A long silence settled in, with neither of them speaking, nor feeling the need to. It was obvious his words touched her more than she could say. But right now, going through such a painful trip down memory lane had drained her entirely. She was just grateful to still have him around after everything. No one had ever stuck with her as long as Tony had.

It was only then, as her tired eyes settled on this strong but exhausted-looking man that her mind cleared up for the first time in a long time.

Tony is all she has left. Right now, there is no one in the world that matters more. Things shouldn't be this complicated.

She was about to speak when Tony's gaze broke from the cliff, fully turning to her.

"I'm exhausted..." he simply said.

"How long have we been here?"

"I don't know. Hours, I guess."

"It's late."

He glanced at the horizon where the sun was halfway up already "I'd say it's actually early."

She managed to crack a smile. It was tinted with the strain of a sleepless night but it was serene for once.

"Then let's go back."

Meanwhile, Some Ten Thousand Kilometers Away, in The Heart of Africa

Escorted by two women of the Dora Milaje, Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson were making their way through the Royal Palace of Wakanda.

King T'Challa had called them in urgently. Apparently there were issues to discuss and it absolutely couldn't wait.

The two ex-Avengers had been in Bulgaria when they received T'Challa's call. Naturally Steve's first thought immediately went to Bucky. What else could the king possibly want to talk about? The Winter Soldier had been under Shuri's care for months, but Steve hadn't received any update. It couldn't be a good sign, could it?