9 - HOUSE ARREST

Asgard, Many Years Ago

"Get up!"

Angrboda could practically feel the bruises forming on her skin as she rolled over, clenching her teeth to hold in a cry of pain. Her entire body ached.

"You're slow and weak."

She leaned against her elbows, trying to hoist herself up. The humiliation wouldn't allow her to meet her father's gaze, as he stood over her, completely unimpressed.

In the end, Angrboda managed to get back on her feet, a hand against the wall for support. But as soon as the spinning of her head started fading, another blow made her body fold in half, knocking the air out of her lungs.

It took a few seconds to comprehend that he had just kicked her in the stomach.

This time, she couldn't hold in a low moan of pain which made a deeply displeased expression melt on Himnir's face.

"What did I tell you about recovery time?!" he spat.

She looked up with difficulty, still gasping for air. Himnir had his arms crossed, completely unfazed by the sight of his daughter writhing in pain. Angrboda had gotten used to the verbal abuse but the chilling indifference in her father's gaze got her every time.

"Never stay still..." she trailed off, her breath now coming back in short huffs "Until you find a way to shield yourself."

They were the words he had barked a hundred times before. Himnir had been hammering his principals into her skull since she was old enough to fight. But like always, it was much easier said than done.

"You keep lowering your guards, when will you learn?!" he hissed.

"I thought we had stopped sparring, I was just trying to talk to you!" she protested.

"And you assumed training sessions were the best time to strike a conversation?!"

"What choice do I have? You never listen to me when we're outside of this room!"

"I know. It's intentional."

Angrboda heaved a long sigh. It was no use arguing with him, he was always going to come out on top.

Training sessions were some of the rare moments Himnir granted her alone. It was her only opportunity to bring up Fenrir and his worrying episodes. She was feeling more and more inadequate in handling the situation and hoped their father could be of some help. But clearly, that was asking too much of him.

"Why do you dismiss me every time I bring up Fenrir?" she asked in a low voice. Himnir had started walking away, making it clear the session was over "Father, please, he is your son!"

He turned around, a look of utter disdain on his face "Your brother is Warging. It will be painful, even excruciating at times. What do you want me to do about it?"

"I want you to be more present! He's scared and he doesn't understand what's happening to him!"

Himnir pretty much laughed in her face "It would be a less painful process if you stopped whining about it all the time."

Of course his words stung but she was too angry to let it upset her. Fenrir's condition was only worsening and she was growing exceedingly frustrated with their father's indifference.