8 - FOR YOU

FOR A LONG TIME, Angie thought the tension of the last four years would be released the second she saw Tony again. But watching him stand there, a thousand emotion sweeping over his face, she just knew it was never going to be that simple.

Her own mind was a mess, berating her to say anything that might break the ice. In the end, it was Tony who spoke first... only to say the absolute last thing she expected to come out of his mouth.

"Miss Dean, it's good to see you!"

Miss Dean?! What the actual...?

His tone was enthusiastic but even she could tell it was awfully fake. He had a polite smile that contrasted sharply with the expression he held barely a second ago.

Before she knew it, Tony had strolled over and started shaking her hand. Her own mouth hung agape, trying to figure out what in the blue hell he was doing.

"What are you..." she stuttered miserably.

But Tony quickly cut her off with a pronounced look and mumbled in a low voice, even though there was no one but them in that hall.

"Just go with it, they're still listening,"

He tilted his head discreetly to a corner of the room. Angie glanced at what he was trying to show her and caught a glimpse of the security camera above their heads.

"Oh..." her eyes widened as she tried to go along with the narrative "I, yes... thank you for answering my call. I know how busy you are."

Tony forced a smile as his gaze met hers. There was a hint of knowingness in his eyes "Of course, anything for an old friend," he then placed a hand on the small of her back. The unexpected contact made Angie flinch "Why don't we head over to my lab," he told her before muttering "We'll talk freely there."

She cleared her throat uneasily, the contact of his hand felt like a hot iron against her back "Lead the way Mr. Stark."

A heavy silence settled in as soon as the door to Tony's lab closed behind them. Suddenly, everything Angie had rehearsed in her head, everything she had been wanting to tell him, was swept away by the tension in the room.

For a while, they both stood there, a few meters apart, not really knowing what to say or how to break the silence. Angie let her gaze wander to the iron suit laid out on a workshop table. It seemed like Tony had been working on it before she came along. For a second, it brought her back to their time on the Helicarrier, four years ago. He used to spend most of his time locked up in a lab... apparently it was one of the few things that hadn't changed.

"When did you get back?"

It was a simple question and yet, she could feel the reproach laced in every word.

"A week ago," she answered as it took all her willpower to meet his piercing gaze.

"Did you end up finding your brother?"

Of course she had expected that question to pop up quickly, but it didn't make it easier to hear it voiced out loud. The words were stuck in her throat and she felt like a miserable mess letting out her answer.

"No, I didn't."

Tony's brows jolted in surprise. He stayed quiet for a long time, trying to find the right words but none of it seemed nearly appropriate.

"I'm sorry Angie..."

Another silence settled in. Angie couldn't stand this tension anymore.

"Forget about it," she muttered hesitantly "I can tell there's a lot on your mind. Just talk to me Tony, please."