14 - STING

A FEW WEEKS had gone by since that night near the cliff. Opening up to Tony hadn't been easy but she didn't regret doing it. He was much more relaxed around her lately; although Angie didn't want to get ahead of herself. She was just glad things were settling down.

The Harpy woke up late that morning. There was a hefty schedule waiting for her and naturally, she took her sweet time getting ready. As it turned out, pretending to work for Tony wasn't as breezy as expected. She had actual responsibilities — and yes, most of those involved things she would've done anyway, like working on prototypes and other logistics — but she might as well be a real employee at that point.

Angie was walking out of her en-suite bathroom after a quick shower, about to get dressed when a few voices stopped her dead in her tracks. The voices came from outside her bedroom, they were close, probably somewhere along the corridor.

"...quiet... hurry up..."

"... is not here..."

Angie's brows furrowed instantly. She could only catch bribes of the conversation but it was enough to alert her senses.

This is odd. No one aside from the Avengers were supposed to be in the building. It was the Residential Unit after all.

Immediately, her thoughts went to the worst case scenario: Did someone break in? Have they discovered her identity? Are they working for the government?

She tried to make out what they were saying as she quickly got dressed, but it all sounded like muffled whispers. She could discern two voices though, one much higher pitched than the other, but both were male.

Angie pushed on her door slowly, hoping to catch them by surprise. She leaped on the two men, pinning one of them to the ground and pushing the other against the wall.

"Who are you, what are you doing here?!" she barked, pressing her forearm on his throat. Only then was she able to have a good look at the intruder and what she saw made her blink a few times. Much to her surprise, it was only a kid. Well, a teenage boy to be precise.

The other intruder was an older man; much larger than the skinny teenager struggling against her hold. She was too busy realizing the ridiculousness of the situation to pay attention to what they were crying out.

Suddenly, she felt herself being propelled forcefully to the side. She sat back up in shock. Did the kid just fend her off?

"Wait, no, this is a misunderstanding!" he exclaimed, putting his hands up as she was about to riposte.

The sound of laughter erupted just a few meters away, taking them both by surprise.

Angie's eyes threw daggers once she looked up to see Tony pissing himself laughing.

"Oh my God... this is... this was the best thing ever..." he was cackling loudly, leaning against the wall for support.

"What is going on?!" Angie exclaimed her eyes shifting between Tony, the kid and the other man "Who the hell are you?!"

Tony cleared his throat in between two fits of laughter "And you thought I was overreactive!"

She rolled her eyes for good measure, even though she was painfully aware of her overreaction.

Tony turned to the two intruders "I thought I told you this building was off limits," he berated the kid, his expression quickly shifting to one of displease "Happy, what is this? You were supposed to watch him!"

"I'm very sorry Mr. Stark," the boy let out nervously "I just didn't think it would be a problem since you said—"

"Alright, alright," Tony interrupted, clearly not interested in hearing his excuses. He smirked a little glancing at Angie and then back at the kid "You kinda had it coming. Hope this ass-kicking teaches you a lesson."