The Malfoys

Scorpius

**

Scorpius got woken up from a peaceful sleep by a knock on the door and the sound of his grandma, Narcissa Malfoy.

"Scorpius darling, if you don't get up soon you're going to start your last year without saying goodbye to your parents" she cooed. As per usual, his parents wouldn't be accompanying him to the train station, it had been like this since his third year, it didn't even bother him anymore, or at least he said so. As much as it saddened him he knew that his parents had to work twice as hard as everyone else to be successful, all because of what had happened decades ago, hence his grandma was the most present figure in his life, his dad had always been a little distant, even when he tried to get closer to Scorpius there was always a "wall" between them, his mom was different, she was loving and caring, but she was always too busy with her job for family bonding time. Along with Draco, Astoria worked at St Mungo's, she was in the administration while Draco was head of the department of spell damage.

"I'm coming!" Scorpius groaned. He sat up in bed slowly and looked out of the window still too sleepy to stand up. After the battle of Hogwarts, Draco and Narcissa moved out of the Malfoy Manor, (Lucius was sent to Azkaban but they weren't) they bought a smaller house and decided to live a more modest lifestyle, if what you consider a five hundred square foot, three-story high house, with just under five hectares of land modest, of course. This house was indeed very big but everything else contrast the old, cold Malfoy Manor, from the appearance to the atmosphere, everything in the new house was warm and cozy.

Scorpius got up from his bed and went to take a cold shower, with hopes of waking him up.

This summer had been hard, Lucius Malfoy, along with a dozen other ex death eaters somehow managed to escape Azkaban. Since then he had been in constant stress and so had been his family.

He brushed his teeth and shaved quickly before getting dressed in his muggle clothes. He walked downstairs into the dining hall and greeted his parents and his cousin, Mathew. He had been living with the family since Scorpius was only ten years old.  Mathew was just a year younger than Scorpius and was from Hufflepuff. (Yes, Hufflepuff.) He was from Scorpius' mom's, side of the family. His dad worked in a wizard bank in Switzerland, and his mom died giving birth to him, moving with his dad would imply him going to a school in Switzerland, and his dad insisted he went to Hogwarts so he stayed behind. This turned out to be the best decision since his cheerful and jolly personality brought life to this broken family. He was the mirror picture of Scorpius, beach blond hair, grayish-blue eyes, and the same nose, he was just a little chubbier, like his father. 

"Good morning Mom, Dad, Matt" Scorpius greeted his family while sitting down next to his cousin, his grandma was probably getting ready.

"Good morning dear," Astoria responded in her typical collected tone. "Excited for the new year?"

"Very," he said "I can't wait for the quidditch tryouts. I already have some people in mind for the team." This year he was going to be the Gryffindor's quidditch team captain as well as Head Boy.

"Oh and last year means great parties," he added with a smirk. His dad stifled laughed, and Mathew patted him on the back, but quickly retrieved his hand as Astoria glared at them.

"Scorpius, you promised me you would concentrate on your studies this year," Scorpius rolled his eyes. "It's your last year, you have your NEWTs and if you want to have a successful career you need to do well, plus you have your other duties, you won't have time to have parties-" blah blah blah. Same speech every year, it reminded him all the endless times Rose had lectured him about school before, he smiled as the memories flooded his mind.

"Let the boy be," Draco intervened, making Scorpius snap out of his daze. "It's his last year, he needs to enjoy it, he'll regret it if he doesn't."

"Thank you father," Draco nodded reassuringly in his direction hiding the smirk that was plastered on his face with a mug. Astoria, once again glared at both.

"Nice example you're setting Draco," Astoria scowled with a sarcastic tone as she started to exit the table. "You could also tell him to vandalize the place, or even better, just tell him to drop out of school altogether! Brilliant idea!" Scorpius rolled his eyes, again. 

No one knew how he did it, everyone excepted him to crack under pressure, but he never did. Scorpius was a straight O student, he had a brilliant mind, but he never gave a crap about school, he rarely did his homework assignments and had detention every other day, but his behavior never reflected on his grades. His Professors had warned him that if he didn't change his attitude we wouldn't be able to pass, he heard this every year. He knew that if Professor McGonagall (the headmistress) wasn't so fond of him he would have been long gone, the nature of this fondness was yet another mystery to everyone. This fondness reached extremes when she made him perfect andthen again two years later when she made him head boy. This made everyone doubt her sanity, even Scorpius. But had a theory to explain her choice.

Scorpius was the most popular guy in school, and as cocky as it sounds, he knew he was, and even though he didn't give a crap about academics, Hogwarts was his life, his home. Professor McGonagall knew this and Scorpius figured that he was handpicked because of it. She knew he had a voice and that he was respected by everyone at Hogwarts, even when portraying his typical reckless, I don't give a crap about anything act, he knew when to stop and get shit done. Not many people knew this passionate side of him though, he never let many people in, but it made his essence pure. 

"Draco, it's time to go," His mother announced, Draco got up and so did Scorpius and Mathew. "Come here boys," she extended her arms for a hug and both boys mirrored her action. "Now you two – this year, you behave yourselves. If I get one more owl telling me you've blown up a toilet or-"

"Blown up a toilet? I've never blown up a toile before. Great idea though, Mom, thanks." Scorpius added playfully, his mother rolled her eyes as she slapped his arm.

"I'm going to miss you two make sure you owl me or you'll get a howler, Don't forget to study and pay attention in class, you to Matt, your father will kill you. Do you have everything? Your wand, broom, books, is Moby in her cage?"

"Yes, mom everything is ready" Astoria was now tearing up. Scorpius hugged his mom for the last time and proceeded to hug his dad.

"See you soon son," his father said as he hugged his son in a manly, awkward, side hug. "have fun," he added in a whisper so only the two of them could hear. Something unexpected happened. Draco engulfed Scorpius in a bone-crushing hug. It took him a second to get over the shock of this demonstration of affection but soon enough he was hugging his father back. A feeling of hope-filled Scorpius from head to toe, rare gestures like this made Scorpius forget all the moments were his parents neglected him during his childhood. These small gestures reassured him that his dad indeed loved him, but had a peculiar way to show his affection.

Soon enough the hug became awkward and they both let go. After another round of goodbyes his parents left for work and Scorpius along with his cousin and Grandma left for Kings Cross station.