Chapter Nine: Cookie Is a Good Name

Trigger Warning: Graphic Scene of Eating-Disorder Bulimia (Note: Read Author's Note Afterwards)

"You can be so dramatic, Naomi," Lynn said as she set some cookies down on her bed. "You actually scared me. For a second, I thought I had to sacrifice my piggy bank for your bail money."

"Don't be like that," I said with a laugh. "But thank you again for letting us stay for a bit."

"I was surprised when you said us," Lynn did as she sat on the floor. "I thought it was one of your other friends but I didn't know it will be this-" She motioned dramatically at Brennan.

Brennan had scooted toward the bed with the swivel chair to grab some cookies. After taking a bite of a cookie, praising its chocolatey glory, she said, "You're giving me too much credit."

"Oh, I'm not," Lynn told her. "I want to both be you and date you. How can that even work? Can it work?" She asked hopefully.

Brennan laughed. "Sorry love, but I already got a boyfriend. But how about we play a game: pick a model, any-"

Lynn practically shoved a sheet of paper in front of Brennan. "I knew it will be worth making this list."

Brennan grabbed the plate of cookies for herself and began reading the list, perhaps taking mental note how many people she will have to contact.

I asked her, "How does your game even work? Does it even work?"

"Don't question love, hon," Brennan said, her focus still on the list.

Lynn jumped backwards onto her bed. "Sorry that I don't have much to do here."

"Don't be," I said, grabbing the plate before Brennan could stop me. "The cookies are really good though. Did you make it from scratch?"

Lynn let out a laugh. "Nah, the store did. I'm not good enough to make it from scratch. Need it pre-cut ready-made to pop it into the oven."

"You're so lazy," Brennan said. "My brother always makes them from scratch."

"Bennett, mystery guy," I explained to Lynn.

"That's how you know him? Mystery guy?"

"I don't know how else to describe him besides black hair and blue eyes," I told her, "Since Lynn knows him best like that too."

"Oh, there are a lot of things to describe my baby brother," Brennan told us. "Should I give you the list?"

"Yes," Lynn said as I said, "No."

"I should know your friends better," Lynn said. "Technically, your friends are now my friends. You know the saying, my enemy's friend is my enemy. Wait, no-"

"That is not how the saying goes, nor is it related to what you're talking about," I said, laughing.

"Well, I'm scared what we'll learn from Bennett's sister," I said. "I may never look at him the same way again."

Brennan chuckled darkly. "Trust me, you won't."

Trying to change the subject, I grabbed the plate of cookies from Brennan and held it out to Lynn. "Have some, don't watch as you make me and Brennan any fatter."

"I should take a picture of you guys right now for a before and after comparison," Lynn said with a laugh.

"My metabolism will never get me fat!" Brennan declared.

"Give it a couple of years," I muttered.

Brennan gasped and took another bite of her cookie as she returned to the list.