Chapter Twelve: What Declan Said Back Then...

"I'd love to add Naomi's "punishment" into the contract, but no technical-" Jordan faltered by Bennett's stare. "Too soon? Yeah, I figured...."

"I'll go get you an icepack," I told him, eyeing the increasingly-visible bruise forming on his cheek.

"No, it's ok. I'll get it," Jordan told me. "I'm my own errand boy, remember?"

He then went to the kitchen by himself.

"Even if he does deserves it," Declan told Bennett. "It's still really bad timing he gets this punishment when he still needs to work on background checks and suspect surveillance."

"I know. But it'll all be waiting for him once the month ends, and we can keep an eye on the surveillance."

Declan sighed. "Now we're being punished too."

"One for all, all for one," I said.

"Alright, you got me there."

"Yeah, mom, I'm just hanging out with the others," Jordan said as he walked back into the living room with an ice pack on one hand and phone on the other.

Trying to lighten the mood, I called out to Jordan, "Hey Jordan! Have you hacked into Will Smith's Facebook account yet?"

Jordan looked at me with a shocked look before meeting with what seemed to be his mother yelling at him at the other side of the phone.

"No, wait- Can you just- It was Naomi, she was kidding!" He shot me a look, before telling her quietly. "I promised you that you would be the first person I'd go to if I were to do that, remember?"

"Yeah, so why did you call? Not like it was a bad thing-" Jordan stopped. "Y-You're cooking?"

Bennett looked up at the sound of that.

Jordan looked at him with a serious look. "And you're cooking for a lot of people? And why will you- Yeah, I don't want to be an accomplice for a serial killer, alright mom? And it probably isn't the best time..."

After more yelling through the phone, he turned to us and in a deadpanned tone, "She wants you guys to come over. Do you want to willingly poison yourselves? I have a liability form you all have to sign." He then told his mother through the phone, "No, I didn't really mean-" Jordan's shoulders sagged in compliance. "Yes, I actually made one."

I looked at Bennett. "What do you think?"

Bennett rubbed the back of his neck. "I can help her if anything goes wrong..."

"This is going to be really awkward..." Declan muttered.

"For the both of us," Bennett agreed.

"But not for me," I said cheerfully, being met with their looks that unappreciated my sense of humor.

Jordan told his mother that we all said yes and to not do anything else until we get there. When the call ended, Jordan went up to us.

"Hey," he told Declan and Bennett. He cleared his throat, attempting to shake off his embarrassment. "I deserved that, alright?"

Declan looked away, having seen enough of the damaged he put on Jordan's face. "Maybe I did take it too-"

"No, if you haven't beaten me up, I would have done it myself. It's just... Something's come up and I'm trying to figure things out. And I didn't handle the situation well because of that."

Declan frowned. "Did something bad happen?"

Jordan shook his head. "I can't... don't want to tell you guys right now. But I will, and hopefully, you guys will understand."