chapter 12: I'm never going to hurt you

Short A/N before the chapter starts. I want to thank you guys for all of your support and i'm sorry for the delay. I've gotten such nice comments from you guys, it cheered me up a lot. So thank you again...let the chapter commence!

*(Y/N)'s P.O.V*

Classes came to an end and as did the drawn out session of trying to clear out the fangirls for the night class.

It was past curfew now, and it was my turn to patrol the grounds. I kept on alert, rolling my feet as I stepped to ensure silence. I glanced every which way, prepared for anything that was to come.

I stopped dead in my tracks as the sound of rustling leaves took my attention, my eyes narrowed as I turned my head to glare into the forest. I reached down to tap the side of my boot to assure that my dagger was still there before I took hesitant steps towards the opening of the woods.

Faintly, I could hear whimpers, high pitched, definitely that of a female. Not knowing any of the night class students to whimper in such a weak way, it had to be a day class student. Hurriedly reaching down and fishing the blade out of my shoe; I dove into the brush.

Avoiding stepping on weak branches on the floor or dried leaves, I made my way through the trees mostly silent.

"Z-Zero--" came a choked whisper "that's enough, I feel faint..." the female trailed off, a rather familiar female voice might I add.

Zero? Just what on Earth was he doing to a day class student?

No longer caring around how much sound I made, I dashed towards the sounds. Breaking through the dense branches, my eyes widened at the sight I was met with.

Zero was crouched over a female, the female easily recognized as Yuki. The silver haired male leaning over her slowly turned to face me and my eyes widened further. His once stoic lilac eyes were glowing red, filled with hunger.

The corners of his lips were smudged red with blood, slow trails dripped down his chin and straining the grass below.

Clenching my jaw slightly, I hurriedly placed the blade back in my shoe and rushed over, kneeling by her other side "she's lost a lot of blood, I need to get her back to the academy" I muttered hurriedly as I cupped her cheeks.

Her heavy eyelids were coming to a close and her skin was colder than usual "I can take care for that" came a sudden voice. I hurriedly placed my hand over my boot, glaring over at the intruder, relaxing when I saw the familiar brunette.

"Kaname..." I breathed out in surprise, the corners of his lips tugged up gently at the sound of his name "I'll take her so you just take care of...him" the reference to Zero was laced with venom, obviously displeased about the situation.

Not wanting to know what would happen if I left the two males alone, I nodded and stepped back so Kaname could take my place.

The vampire picked the female up effortlessly and sent me a nod before he disappeared to the academy. After he had left my sight, I glanced over at Zero, he had the back of his hand pressed against his lips, his eyes were closed and his brows were furrowed as he desperately tried to control his breathing.

Walking over, I knelt down in front of him and fished through my pocket. Zero flinched away, pressing himself harder against the bark of the tree, causing him to wince.

"Don't move" I ordered as I slipped my hand out of my pocket, a white handkerchief in my hand. As I reached towards his face, he hurriedly turned it away, with a light roll of my eyes, I grasped his chin and turned him to face me.

Gently, I dabbed at his chin, cleaning off the blood that surrounded his mouth. His eyes slowly opened, and as the blood was cleaned off, they returned to their soft lilac.

"Why are you acting like what you saw didn't happen...look at me, I'm a monster" he whispered out, his expression was confused and pained.

I lowered my hand slowly and looked up to meet his eyes "you're not a monster, Zero" I retorted.

His eyes narrowed "yes I am, you saw what I did to Yuki", I let out a deep sigh and leaned back slightly.

"Do you regret all the times you've bitten someone and drank their blood?" I asked.

His brows furrowed in confusion at my question, but he nodded anyways "yes".

"Do you regret every time you've have thoughts of draining someone of their blood?"

"Yes"

"And do you hate every time you feel the hunger?"

"Yes"

"And do you really think a monster would feel all these things? Do you think a monster would regret all of that? Do you think a monster would have a heart?"

His eyes widened slightly "no, but--"

"But nothing Zero, you're not a monster, you never will be. I promise, I will make sure of it".

Standing up, I handed him the handkerchief, of which he took hesitantly and placed in his pocket. I held out my hand for the male "come on, we should head back" I mumbled.

Zero paused for a moment, but took my hand and rose to his feet "thanks" he mumbled, glancing away. I rose a brow "what for?".

"For everything, treating me the same even after knowing what I am, for being there when I needed you most".

My expression softened and I gave him a quick nod "of course, but this isn't like you at all".

The male gave a scoff and pulled his hand out of my grip to cross his arms "I have no idea what you're talking about" he grumbled.

A laugh left my lips and I shook my head "come on, let's go".

Once we reached the academy we turned to face each other "I just want you to know...I'll never hurt you" I mumbled, without giving him a chance to reply to my declaration, I turned on my heel and headed to my dorm.

I wasted no time in stripping off my clothes and stepping into the shower, I could feel the knots in my shoulders unwinding at the pleasurable pounding of the hot water on my skin. My eyes fell closed as I hugged my arms to myself.

"It's quite different to talk to you when you're not sleeping"

The voice came from nowhere, causing me to jump up, my eyes snapping open as I desperately looked around for the source of the voice.

A chuckle echoed around the room, and once I was certain that the voice was coming from nowhere in the room, I allowed myself to relax slightly "getting rather comfortable with a certain vampire hunter, aren't you?".

My eyes narrowed "I have no idea what you're talking about" I mumbled, desperately trying to focus on washing myself.

"Surely, you must have realized you've caught more than just a couple eyes?".

I let out a huff and ignored the question "how do you know all this stuff anyways? Are you watching me?".

The voice paused, waiting a few moments before replying "I'll keep in a secret for now, I'll remain watching my dear, goodbye"

I let out a protest but there wasn't a reply, I huffed and finished off showering. After changing I laid down in my bed, pulling my covers over my body, my eyes fell closed and just before I drifted off to sleep, a voice rang out through the air.

"Goodnight, dear sister"

And just like that, I was out like a light.