Chapter 17: Infatuation

Kaname held me close, the warmth I never knew a vampire could secrete. He was silent as he listened to what had happened, arms squeezing gently when I would get particularly choked up. And even when I could feel the anger rolling off of him at the mention of the events with Zero, but his first priority was holding me and making sure I was okay.

As I wiped my face of the tears that I had so desperately tried to hold back, I leaned from his chest with a sniffle "thank you for listening to me" I whispered, cursing myself at the pitiful break in my voice.

Pulling a handkerchief out of his pocket, he dabbed gently at the wetness around my eyes, gentle smile playing on his lips.

"Zero has no idea what he's missing, would you like me to talk to him?".

Immediately I thought about what would happen, their equal hatred for each other only spurred on by my own drama, quickly I shook my head. "Thank you for offering, Kaname. But I need to handle this on my own".

The smile on his face only grew and he placed a gentle hand atop my head "you've matured" he mumbled admirably.

I could feel the heated rush of embarrassment swarm to my face and gave a light roll of my eyes "whatever you say big brother" I mumbled jokingly.

Kaname blinked in surprise drawing his hand back and pressing it to his stomach with a light bout of laughter. I felt my own smile tug at my lips, I had never seen Kaname laugh so freely, the odd chuckle sure, but never this comfortable laughter.

The smile dropped on my face when in my smile, I caught the glimpse of the fangs glinting in the reflection of the sunlight. I glanced away and took a step back, rubbing the back of my neck "I should get back to my duties, I have a lot to do, especially since those two were slacking off".

He let out a sigh as his laughter died down, he took a step towards me and brushed a stray strand of hair behind my ear "of course, be safe on your rounds" he spoke sweetly.

I resisted my urge to lean to his touch and took another step back with a reassuring smile "I'll be okay, thank you for everything Kaname. I'll see you later, okay?". I backed up towards the door.

He nodded with a gentle smile on his face "see you" he nodded his head slowly, and once I had opened the door, and stepped out, I closed it – leaned back against it with a deep sigh. I knew he could hear, he could probably hear the blood that was rushing to my face, hearing the sound of my heart rate picking up.

But he didn't mention it, knowing it would make me uncomfortable. Kaname was great, Kaname was really great ,so why did I feel so guilty?

Pushing off of the door, I made my way towards the stairs, stepping down them slowly. I knew they were all down there, vampires have a certain-- smell, if you like. It was hard to describe, almost like an aura all vampires seemed to have for an unusual reason.

All eyes were on the staircase before I had even come into view, they watched me descend, some eyes filled with confusion, others with anger and jealousy.

Ruka took a step forward, eyes narrowed and brows furrowed in anger, her hand balled at her side and she opened her mouth, ready to slate me.

I held up my hand, to which she paused, staring down at it in surprise "I'm really not in the mood for your pointless jealousy right now, Ruka" I grumbled.

The corner of her upped lip pulled up into a scowl "what were you doing with Lord Kaname for so long?" she growled lowly. I lifted my eyes to stare at her, unimpressed "talking" came my short reply. Which only seemed to tick her off further.

"How dare you talk to me like that" she spat, her anger flaring, the atmosphere in the room was thick, even as Kain placed a hand on her shoulder to calm her down.

"Look, if you have a problem with the fact that Kaname doesn't give you special treatment, then take it up with him. Your one sided crush has got nothing to do with me".

Ruka gaped at me in disbelief, shocked that not only had I seen through her obvious front but I had said it in front of everyone.

"You really think no one could see? Everyone knows, and Kaname probably knew before you even did", she bit her lip and glanced aside "now please, get out of my way".

Kain grasped her arm and pulled her aside, and surprisingly, she didn't fight, allowing herself to be dragged. With a deep breath, I pulled down my jacket so it was properly situated and brushed my hair over my shoulder.

I could practically smell their hunger as my perfume wafted towards them "if you'll excuse me" with no obstacles this time, I left the building.

Night time duties came next, having avoided Yuki and Zero throughout the day, it was my turn to do the night patrol on the ground.

The grounds were pleasantly empty, or at least by the looks of it, I could smell them, the vampires. Their scent was striking, hard to miss, especially for aristocrats.

The smell grew stronger the closer I got to the forest by the edge of the school, part of the school grounds still, I had to get them back to their dorm. Being out at night was strictly forbidden, they needed to get to their classes.

I sighed as I pushed past the various branches and leaves, coming to the clearing "I know you're here, you'll be in big trouble if Kaname finds out you were skipping" I spoke up as I continued to follow the strong smell.

It lead me to a familiar place, the pond I often visited when I had too much on my mind. As I stepped towards the edge of the water, I could feel the sudden gush of wind on my back and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up.

I stomped down hard, palm open as my dagger shot out of my boot and into my open hand, in one swift movement, I turned around, blade held to the neck of the person who had suddenly appeared behind.

I was met with unfazed eyes, the grey-blue eyes of Shiki's bore into mine. He glanced down at the knife and back up at my face, his only reaction was the raising of a brow.

"There's no need for such violence, disciplinary committee" I turned to glance to the owner of the familiar voice, standing to the side with his arms tucked across his chest was none other than Aido, his trademark smirk gracing his face.

Slowly, I lowered the blade away from the red head and tucked it back into my boot "you guys know the rules, you're not allowed to be out here, you have classes right now".

Aido gave a roll of his eyes and a sigh as he made his way towards me and Shiki, it was a mere second before the two had grown uncomfortably close.

"What are you doing?" I breathed out warily, moving to take a step back only to find my body pressing into the rough bark of a tree.

"What are we doing? Just paying you back for that little show earlier", the blond lifted his hand, brushing my hair over my shoulder once again. Siki's pale hand lifting slowly to do the same with the other side.

Simultaneously they leaned down, a hair width away from my skin, they breathed in deeply and before I got the chance to stomp my foot for my dagger once again, I could feel the stinging pain of their fangs as they sank into my skin.