Chapter 16: Tears and comfort

The morning came too quickly for my liking, my much needed sleep ruined by the harsh sun, forcing it's way into the hole's between the seems of my curtains. Laying the rays upon my closed eyelids and, evidently, breaking me out of my sleep.

My groggy eyes blinked open despite how much I wanted to keep them closed. There are plenty of upsides to being in the disciplinary committee, such as; skipping classes without getting in trouble, leaving campus, permission to walk freely between both Night Class and Day Class dorms, etc.

But just like there are the good times, there are an equal, if not more, amount of disadvantages; waking up extra early to do rounds, staying up extra late to do rounds, dealing with vampires, dealing with fangirls, dealing with the head master, I could go on.

And so even though it was a weekend, and the students of both Day and Night class were most likely, happily sleeping the day away, I had to awaken, get changed, and scour the area to make sure that, that was exactly what they were doing.

With a tired groan, I begrudgingly pushed the blankets off, shuddering at the cold air that hit me. Sitting up, with a deep sigh, I slipped out of bed and headed towards the bathroom to start my morning routine.

Another perk of the disciplinary committee, with how many times I had to rush to get changed due to a false alarm or a Day class student getting a little too close to the Night class, changing was a breeze, easily accomplished in a limited amount of time.

Fixing my uniform, I strapped the disciplinary band around my arm and looked myself over in the mirror, with a nod, I took a deep breath and was on my way.

When I came to the door of the girl's dorm, my brows furrowed in confusion to see it surprisingly empty, Yuki normally waited for me here. Perhaps due to the argument last night, she had thought it best to escape the tension and leave early, or maybe she just slept in?

Brushing it off, I pushed the door open and looked around, soon picking the best direction to begin my patrol.

A few hours of passed and the lack of activity was putting me on edge, on a usual day I would've past Yuki and dozen times, and Zero at least a few, but this whole time was spent with no one in sight.

"He's not slacking again, is he?" I mumbled to myself with a sigh, I set myself on a familiar path, round the back of the school towards the stables.

Sure enough, as I made myself towards the bar, the door was left slightly ajar, I shook my head with a sigh.

Picking up the pace, I walked towards the shed and pushed the door open "Zero, you can't keep slac--"

I jerked myself to a sudden stop, as my eyes fell onto the two before my, I could my stomach jump up into my throat. My heart drop to take it's place and my head begin to swirl.

Yuki knelt before Zero, leaning over his lazily slouching body, his head in her hands and her lips, which had been on his not two seconds ago, were parted in surprise.

Zero tensed, he knew who I was, he had heard my voice, smelled the scent of my perfume, there was no mistaking it. And as his head turned to face mine slowly, his usually emotionless face held surprise and guilt. Yuki's matched.

I took a stumbling step back, my throat closing uncomfortably as I tried to get a word out, but what could one say in that kind of situation?

"(Y/N) I--" Yuki started, biting her lip to try and come up with some sort of explanation.

"Let me guess" I finally managed to choke out, I hissed at myself with my voice cracked pitifully "you can explain?" I finished for her.

Zero stood slowly, holding his hands up in an attempt to keep me calm "(Y/N), this isn't what it looks like".

My lips parted and I rose an incredulous brow "really, Zero? Then please, indulge me, what exactly is this?"

When he closed his mouth and clenched his jaw, not saying another word, I took the liberty of continuing.

"Is this what you do now, Zero? Hop between girls whenever you feel like it, Ramona, me, and now Yuki? What? Just to throw us aside when you get bored?".

"It isn't like that (Y/N)!" Yuki tried to gasp, I held up a hand, turning my head towards the ground "don't" I hissed through my teeth "don't think for a second that I'm not mad at you too".

Placing a hand on his shoulder, Yuki pushed Zero aside to take his place in front of me, her expression read an anger equal to my own.

"You can't do this (Y/N)! Take everyone that I like as soon as I tell you I like them" she sputtered.

I felt my jaw drop in disbelief "are you kidding me? Zero kissed me yesterday Yuki, you really feel good knowing that? That he kissed me and moved on to you?".

Her eyes widened and a flash of hurt shot across her face, for a moment, her anger was lifted and she turned slowly to face Zero "you kissed her?" her voice was quiet now, pitiful, hurt.

"I tried to tell you--" he started, before sighing "listen, that's not important right now".

I took a step back, my head shaking slowly "not important? Right, of course, I get it".

"(Y/N), that's not what I--"

I held up my hands, stopping him in his sentence "enough, Zero, I'm done, I can't do this anymore, just--" I took a shuddering breath as I began to take slow steps backwards "have fun together" I whispered under my breath.

Turning on my heel, I bolted before either of them could have a chance to stop me, I ignored the burning in my throat, the painful tightening in my chest and the annoying pricking of tears that threatened to build in my eyes.

It was stupid, this whole thing was so, so stupid, and me – with the tears in my eyes, felt like the most stupid of all in this whole situation.

I ran, I ran until I couldn't run anymore, I ran until the gate of the Night class stopped me. And without a second thought, knowing that this was the last place that the two would dare look for me, I made my way inside.

I burst through the doors of the dorm, ignoring the startled cry of an over dramatic Aido, and the angry blubbering of Ruka. I brushed passed them, head down and mouth shut, and with the tense aura that flowed off of me, they knew not to follow.

I grasped the handle of Kaname's door, pausing a moment before twisting the knob and pushing it open, Kaname stood by the large window at the wall opposite the door, showing no signs of shock, no doubt he had heard the commotion downstairs and knew what to expect.

The gentle smile on his face as he turned to face me was quickly wiped away as I lifted my head and he could see the state I was in.

Pushing himself off the wall, he was silent as he held out his awaiting arms.

And without a moment of hesitation, I rushed towards his open arms.