11. Give it up

"You can have anything you want if you're willing to give up the belief you cannot have it."

When Peter woke up the next morning, he was all but healed. Not that it mattered considering he wasn't 'allowed' to be Spiderman for who knew how long. Ned went home after dinner, promising to be back in the morning to try to cheer Peter up, so Peter knew he had an hour at most before his best friend arrived. He took the oppurtunity to take a shower. He sat on his bed, letting his wet hair soak the towel around his neck. Hearing a stall in steps, Peter glanced up.

Steve was leaning in his door frame with an apologetic expression wearing a fuzzy sweater with kittens on it. Peter was pretty sure he did that on purpose; he looked very huggable. "Peter I'm really sorry." Steve began, walking in and sitting on the edge of Peter's bed. The teen scooted away with crossed arms and a pout.

"I'm just trying to keep you safe. I have to keep everyone on this team safe!" Steve argued. Peter stared at the wall, counting in his head. He wanted Steve to leave, he wanted to have his suit back, and he really wanted to wing across the rooftops in Queens and play the game he and Ned invented which consisted of Ned throwing objects out windows and Peter trying to web them before they smashed against the ground. It didn't always end so well.

"Come on, Sport, talk to me-"

"Taking my suit is not going to 'keep me safe'." Peter protested, not looking at Cap and his stupid huggable sweater. "Turning the compound into a prison isn't either. Look at me; I'm already healed!" Peter lifted his tee shirt to show Steve the absence of bruises, blood or broken bones. Steve looked Peter in the eyes seriously. "Just because you heal quickly doesn't give you a reason to go and get yourself hurt. I would know."

Peter looked away again, resuming his counting. Twenty minutes and Ned would buzz into the compound. Why couldn't twenty minutes go any faster?

Finally, Steve sighed and stood. "I really am sorry. But that's not going to change anything. You have full access to the compounds... everything. It's not a prison. Just no spidey!" And with that, Steve stormed out. "You aren't my dad." Peter mumbled under his breath. Steve and Tony had a bad habit of treating Peter like they had authority over him. In a way, they did.

Peter flopped onto his bed and pressed his palms to his face. Another set of footsteps stopped at his door. Oh great. Peeking through his fingers, Peter saw Tony. He was more nonchalant looking than Steve, and didn't inititate any conversation, just... stood there. Finally, Peter couldn't take it anymore.

"Did you want something, Mr. Stark?" Peter asked, exhasperated. Tony mocked surprise and came in. "What, no silent treatment? That was my go-to as a teenager!" The billionare revealed. Peter smirked. "I highly doubt that."

Tony glared playfully at him, before morphing back into serious-mode. "Peter, just because you can't be Spiderman doesn't mean you can't have fun. My lab is always open." Peter shrugged and smiled, sitting up. "I know, but that's not the point! Taking away my suit isn't about 'taking away the fun'. Steve doesn't trust me to handle myself! You all seem to forget who keeps saving the day here!" Tony shoved his shoulder lightly before sighing. "You're right. Steve is treating you like a child. But that's because you are one. And even if you're brave enough or strong enough to not be... sometimes you just have to let yourself be a kid. And hey, sometimes Steve still treats me like a child." Tony laughed.

"Thanks, Mr. Stark." Peter grinned. "You know, you can call me Tony." Tony offered, and Peter tilted his head. "I don't know... I don't really feel comfortable yet." He admitted. "Well, we could start with 'Dad' and see..."

"W-wha-what? Are you... wait... huh?"

"Or pops... nah, that reminds me too much of my dad." Tony beamed and Peter sat gaping at him, when FRIDAY piped up. "A Mr. Leeds here to see Peter." She announced, and Tony nodded, standing. He paused in the doorway at a dumbfounded Peter.

"I was joking, kid. Tony's fine. We can save 'Dad' for at least a week more." He winked and left. Peter couldn't decide if that was another joke or not. He decided to not decide and got up to see Ned.

oOo

"You're alive!" Ned announced when Peter met him in the common room. "What, you thought a few broken ribs would take me down?" Peter scoffed, and Ned quirked an eyebrow as they started walking back to Peter's room. "If not the ribs then maybe Captain America." Peter hung his head at that. "He took my suit, dude."

"Dude. If Captain America even wanted my clothes I don't think I'd ever say no or wash them again when I got them back."

When they turned the corner, the duo nearly smashed into Wanda. "Peter, Ned, hey!" She greeted, Ned merely squeaking at the casual introduction to an Avenger. "Nat and I were wondering if you wanted to join us in the gym?" Offered the Scarlet Witch.

"Oh, Ned doesn't have any... super powers." Peter explained awkwardly, and Ned shrugged with a nod. Wanda raised an eyebrow. "Neither does Natasha."

"I don't have any gym clothes either but I'm totally okay with that if I get to be beaten up by Black Widow." Ned announced, and Peter rolled his eyes. Wanda grinned. "Um, Avengers compound? Owned by Tony Stark? We can find you some 'gym clothes'." She turned and started walking to Tony's lab, beckoning the boys to follow. Peter went to take a step, but Ned grabbed his arm with the most excited expression Peter had ever seen.

"Oh my spades; am I getting a super suit?!"

That's more like it! Tony and Steve being total dads, Ned being a fanboy, Peter being a rebellious teen and Nat and Wanda are going to whup their butts!!! This should be fun!!!

You guys may not have been complaining, but I don't like too much drama all at the same time. You gotta have a shwarma scene every once in a while.

~Meow