25. Absence

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder."

When Peter got up the next morning, the sting in his lungs had all but disappeared. He still felt a light discomfort when he breathed too deeply, but nothing compared to yesterday. He still didn't know what brought that on. The clock next to Peter told him it was nearly 8:30, which meant he still had some time to sleep before Wanda dragged him out for breakfast and Nat stuck him in the training room.

Wait, no, no, no!!! He was supposed to be at his apartment by 10! Ned and MJ were going to pick him up! "Aw cheddar cheese biscuits!" Peter yelped, launching himself out of bed. He pulled off his pajama's and jumped in the shower, shrieking a little when it came out freezing cold. It warmed up quickly, and he was able to wash off some of the stress-sweat from yesterday.

Peter got dressed, packed his back pack with his swimsuit, a towel, and one of Tony's brand-named reusable waterbottles, and finally stashed his suit in the hidden pocket. Not caring to do anything about his hair, Peter dashed through the door. He nearly ran face first into Cap, who caught him by the shoulders and lifted him in the air like he weighed nothing.

"Good morning Peter, you're up early." Steve chuckled, putting the poor teenager down. Peter was practically bouncing on his toes to get out of there, but still managed to smile at Steve. "Yeah, I'm heading out with Ned and MJ today."

"Wait, doesn't your fried MJ think you're at Tony's prestigious - and fake - science camp?" Steve had his hands on his hips in a 'don't be dumb' mover. "Yeah, but this is my 'weekend off'." Peter grinned. "Ok, well, have fun!" Captain America yelled after the hyper teen who was back to running to the exit.

Peter passed Tony's lab and found the door was still shut. Tight. Had Tony spent the whole night in there? Did he get any sleep? Peter's passcode didn't work, he'd been officially shut out. He knocked with a tired sigh, his initial hyper-ness draining through the soles of his feet. "Mr. Stark?" No response. Peter turned and jogged to the exit of the compound, where Happy was waiting.

"Happy? Uh, good morning?" Peter acknowledged the driver, who seemed to be waiting for him. "Ned informed me of your plans, he guessed you'd wake up late and need a ride." Peter's energy returned as he slid into the audi. "Wow, thanks Happy! Onward!"

"Hey, no demands from you, short stop!" Happy scoffed, glaring at him in the rear-view mirror. Despite his protests, he did drive, and pretend the whole ways not to listen intently to Peter's rambling about the traditional summer beach trip with his friends. Apparently, last year Ned got stung by a jellyfish. MJ knew some weird trivia that, despite common opinions, pee did not help a jellyfish sting - depending on type of jellyfish and severity of sting.

Happy got to the apartment with a few minutes to spare. Minutes Peter spent sprinting up the fire escape. Of course, Happy didn't leave until he saw Peter slip safely through his bedroom window.

As expected, the doorbell went off at exactly 10 o'clock. MJ prided herself on being punctual. Peter, who did not have that gift and had just stumbled through his window, ran to the door. He'd been rushing around so much, his hair had air dried and was no doubt in a fluff of curls on top of his head. Peter flung the door open with a grin.

"Hey guys, right on time!"

MJ had nearly started to tap her foot by the time Peter opened the door, but she was immediately struck into silence at the sight of him. Peter had changed a lot in the last year, that hadn't gone unnoticed. He'd gradually lost his glasses, his inhaler, and his acne. He stopped being a stringbean, and he'd grown a bit. Still not taller than her, though. Now, he stood in front of her with the complexion of someone who had way too much energy, with those shining puppy-dog eyes, and a messy mop of curls on his head that looked soft like clouds. For once, MJ was speechless.

"Yeah, MJ woke me up at, like, 7 am. Which is a crime during summer!" Ned pouted, elbowing the silent MJ. She regained her composure with an eyeroll. "Well you're both so slow I knew we'd never get a good spot if I let you guys dawdle."

The trio caught a cab to Rockaway Beach, and split the ride cost. They walked to the end of the boardwalk and jumped off, into the water. Peter found his not-asthma was completely gone - though it had given him a scare at the prospect of the stupid condition resurfacing - and he was able to enjoy sneakily attacking MJ's legs from underwater. She wore a neon green swimsuit, and her wild fro was free and salty. Peter tried not to blush everytime she caught him staring, and ignored the equal amount of time he caught her.

It was getting late, and they got ice cream before heading back to the lockers to get their stuff. Peter got cookies and cream, MJ got tiger, and Ned got bubble gum. They walked along the boardwalk again, and Peter's phone buzzed. He pulled it out and found...

17 missed calls from none other than Tony Stark. He nearly fell over.

"Peter?" Ned shook him from his trance with his voice. "You look like you've seen a ghost, did something happen?" MJ asked, and her voice held a rare sincere tone. "U-um, I have to... go." Peter swallowed, looking meaningfully at Ned. "I'll see you guys tomorrow?" And with that, he was off running.

Peter called Tony quickly, heart skipping several beats per second. Thankfully, Tony picked up. "Peter! Where the hell are you?" Tony hissed, and Peter tripped over himself with a desperate response.

"I was out at the beach with Ned and MJ I told Steve and Happy where I went I'm so sorry I didn't have my phone it isn't waterproof did something happen is someone hurt oh gosh I'm so sorry I should've been there Mr. Stark don't worry I'm on my way did someone break in is everyone all right what even happened I never should've left my phone for so long I thought it would be ok for one day but I should've known superheroes don't take days off and I promise it'll never happen again just please tell me what happened and if you're ok and if everyone's ok and-"

"Peter, holy crap, calm down, kid!" Tony soothed, and Peter stopped, panting. He was almost at his apartment, just a little farther. If only he was faster... "nothing happened, everyone's fine. I'm sorry I worried you, I just didn't know where you were. FRIDAY told me you left and I... I assumed the worst."

Peter stopped dead, nearly tripping. "What? What's the 'worst' if I left on my own? Why didn't you just talk to Steve or Happy?"

"Kid... I... well... Peter, when you get back to the compound, we have to talk."

An update?!?!?! What is this?!?!?!?!
I bet there is a parallel universe somewhere where I update regularly. *sigh*

Anyways, sorry for the LOOOOOOOOOONG wait you guys, thanks for hanging in there!!!! Unfortunately, this book will be ended pretty soon. With the way this story is going, it might not even get to 30 chapters. Maybe only 28 or something. But that's not the point of writing, obviously.

All of you readers are so amazing, I can't even express how much it means to me that I keep getting comments and votes from you on my stories.

And I try really hard to follow everyone who follows me, though it may take a few days! Please be patient with me - although you guys have all been so great so far!!!

Thanks for reading!

~ Meow