24. Amazing

"You don't have to be perfect to be amazing."

The others were all laughing, but Tony couldn't even find the air to laugh. He was staring at Peter's readings in shock. Strange was the first to notice, quirking an eyebrow at him. "Stark, you look... disturbed." Tony shoved the readings in his face, and Strange furrowed his brows.

"Is this... Peter? You took an x-ray of Peter... just now? How...?"

"I'm Tony Stark. But look at that, what is that?!" Tony pointed to the faint splotches on Peter's lungs. Something was wrong with his boy, and he knew it, and it was his fault. Strange zoomed in and read through some medical terms provided by FRIDAY. "It's a minute amount of dust in his lungs. Probably comet dust. My best guess is it would act like asthma - maybe a little more severe seeing the contents of the dust. But we are constantly exchanging the air in our lungs - and it's only in the top half. It won't affect him for more than a few hours." The wizard quickly deduced, finally leaning away from the display on Tony's wrist.

Tony still looked pale and shocked. "Why are you so upset? There's virtually nothing wrong with him."

"I couldn't... protect him." Tony breathed, watching the Avengers play pass with the Peter-ball who was whining good naturedly. "I can't protect him! No matter what I do, who I use, what I build," The billionare turned away and started walking towards the door leading inside.

"There's nothing I can do to save him."

Strange watched him go with a sigh. Gosh, what a drama queen.

Peter finally had to stop the Avengers from bowling with him when he started coughing, and felt shortness of breath. It didn't last long though, he knew how to quell the spasms in his lungs. Didn't know why they were happening, though. It felt a little bit like the asthma he'd had before he'd gotten bitten by the spider, but why would it return? How could it return? It didn't make sense.

And when things don't make sense - you ignore them!!!

After Nat cut Peter out of his popping prison, he went to his room to finally get some sleep. It was late by the time the whole comet thing had been dealt with. Peter didn't make it to his room before Wanda caught him and forced him to eat, but then he was a free man!

And a bored one!

He did some training in the room Bucky and Sam set up for him, but everytime he tried something actually fun, this weird not-asthma - that was actually kind of painful - would kick in and he would fall or start coughing or both.

Peter was going to work on some of his projects, but when he went to the lab, it was locked. Peter had never been locked out of Tony's lab before. The sudden feeling of betrayal hurt way more than the burning sensation in his lungs. Peter's rational side kicked in that maybe Tony was working on the comet and it wouldn't be safe for Peter to join him. That had to be it. Peter added that saddness to another pain he had to ignore right now.

Finally, the teen collapsed on his bed, in his room. No one was watching a movie. No one was playing a board game. No one was cooking anymore. The rest of the Avengers were comfortable with their free time or sleeping or...

Peter's phone buzzed and he fumbled with it in surprise, lost in his thoughts. Ned?

"Ned! Hey!" Peter answered, sitting up. "Dude, finally! You've been seriously MIA lately!" Ned complained immediately. Peter laughed. "Uh, sorry I was hanging out with the Avengers. Sheesh."

"Summer is best friend time!" Ned insisted. "Speaking of which, MJ, you and me are going to the beach tomorrow! We're picking you up at 10 - from Aunt May's place, of course."

"Wait, MJ? She thinks I'm at nerd camp!"

"Uh, remember? This is your off weekend from nerd camp? Dude, you literally emailed her your made-up schedule!"

Peter had to laugh at himself. Wow, he was dumb. He stood, a little too fast, and agreed with Ned. "Alright, I'll meet you there tomorrow at 10." He would've said more, but he was suddenly wheezing. "Peter? Yo, got your inhaler?" No, I shouldn't need it anymore!

"I-I'm fine Ned, se-ee you tomorrow." Peter coughed, hanging up and hunching over, hand on the wall for support. Officially worse than asthma. Something was wrong with him.

Peter went back to the lab, despite it being locked, and knocked. "Mr. Stark? I need to talk to you." Peter called. "Tomorrow, Peter, I'm sorry. I-I have work to do. I need to... think."

Oh. Ok. Not like that was the first time Tony turned Peter down or anything. No biggie. Peter turned to go, but was attacked by another coughing fit and quickly grabbed the wall before he fell over.

"Peter? Are you ok?" Peter could hear Tony suddenly getting up, and was even more confused. "Fine! I'm f-fine!" He didn't want to interrupt Tony if he was doing something as important as it seemed. His lungs and throat were starting to really burn, but he didn't know if he should worry anyone else about it. That wasn't even the big problem anymore.

Peter didn't trust Tony's excuse. The philanthropist usually welcomed him to work with him, the more important the project the better. And, two heads were better than one! Tony always told him that. There was only one possible explanation.

Tony was avoiding him.

Heyo heyo heyo
Watched hunchback of notre dame live just a few hours ago, it was AMAZING!!! Favorite character was Quazimoto, obviously. He needs a hug.
Thought I was causing Peter a little bit too much physical pain lately, so imma switch it up. Plus, we're reaching the end of the book soon, so its time to pull up to the FINAL RESOLUTION!!! Whatever that will be.
MJ!!! Yay! Love MJ almost as much as I love Shuri! Of course, I ship MJ and Peter a lot more than I ship Shuri and Peter. IDK, i think they make a better team than a pair, you know? Maybe I'm crazy.
Mabye its a lunatic you're looking for...
little reference anywho it's been a long time since I rambled in my authors notes!!! I really liked how this chapter turned out (I know it sucked shut up) and Quazimoto is bae so I'm feeling pretty good tonight.
How have you guys been? I'd love to read some rambling in the comments - or whatever, if you don't ramble. Although, who doesn't ramble?
Ok, new challenge. Who can ramble the longest? Oh gosh, I know I'm going to regret this.
And here's me, losing, because I want to publish this and THANK YOU EVERYONE SO SO MUCH FOR READING AND ENJOYING AND COMMENTING AND MAKING MY DAY!!! You guys are all literally so awesome!
Alright, RAMBLE TIME

~ Meow