Chapter 9

(Sorry if it took so long. I've been so busy lately, but now it's summer so get ready for some updates.)

I’ve been trying to push the thought of being used by Jay at the back of my mind. It shouldn’t matter. Why should I care? It’s not like I liked him or anything. Sure, he’s good looking but you can never really have feelings for someone just because of their face. If you do, it will probably go away.

I am currently sitting in class waiting patiently for Ms. Gillian to start her lesson for today. Sometimes, I think that she’s just winging it and coming up with things to do as we go. Ms. Gillian isn’t that bad to be honest. She is one of those young teachers who just graduated fresh out of college and started teaching. She tries to make learning “fun” as she calls it.

After several minutes of butt numbing pain of staying in my seat, she finally stood up. “As I’ve been noticing students don’t often talk to others who are not part of their group of friends. So today we are doing something different.” I wasn’t sure if what I heard from the students in the classroom were a sigh of relief or a groan of annoyance. To me, anything different from the pages of worksheet we have every day is better.

Is Jay even here today? I'm not sure if I want to see him or not.

As on cue, the door wrings open Jay walking in late. Everyone in the room turned to look at him, but I somehow managed to meet his eyes. His eyes were cold showing no emotion. Anyone in their right mind would be scared of him. Whenever I see him, he seems to have a different persona. What happened to the Jay back in when we had dinner, when he looked so innocent? Looks are often deceiving. I would rather have him looking emotionless, than him playing with mine.

He made his way to the empty seat behind me. I was still currently sitting on his assigned seat, and Mary is still occupying mine. I tried not to look at him, but my eyes feel like they’re dying to peek. My thoughts of him were interrupted by Ms. Gillian giving out her instructions.

Everyone in the class were supposed to be in a group of five.  We were grouped by the people sitting around us. Sadly, I had to be with Jay. The other members of my group moved their desks so that we would all be clumped up together forming one long table. I was sitting on a corner with Raven beside me and Jay across along with two other girls I’ve spoken from time to time.

“Okay class.” Ms. Gillian began clapping her hand together. “I want you to trade compliments with the members of your group. You kids are so secluded by your group of friends. It seriously frustrates me.” There is a reason for that. “Anything is good, as long as it’s not vulgar….” She continued on about sexual harassment and how telling someone they have a nice pair of breast is not a compliment, but indeed a harassment.

The two girls beside Jay started giggling as he spoke to them. I'm guessing they’re probably getting started on their compliments. I wasn’t sure what things I would say. The girl on the right has pretty hair and the on the left writing her number on Jay’s hand has a clear face I guess.

Raven nudged my shoulder with his, catching my attention. I am so happy he’s been put in the same group as me. I would have been so alone without him. “What are you complimenting Colton on?” He asked on a low tone, almost a whisper probably thinking I wouldn’t want Jay to hear my compliment as if the two girls weren’t loud enough that we couldn’t hear anything. One of the girls gave Raven a flirty wave and he returned a polite smile. “I have no idea what to say to these girls.”

I gave a faint laugh “You can complement them on their physical appearance.”

He thought for moment, his hand under his chin looking at the two girls. “Alright.” He agreed. “So, what about Colton?”