Chapter 15

(Photo of Jay on the side, enjoy!

Chaper dedicated to DarkDreamm for supporting me in this story. She seems really nice.)

Chapter 15

Jay’s POV

“Hey man.” Mike greets me as he enters my room.

He stumbles on the messy clothing on the floor, kicking them aside. I glare at him in return. Mike has always been very comfortable with everything I own. He kicks off his shoes before jumping into my bed. His nose scrunches in pain when he lands.

“Dude, you probably should be more careful. You just got out of the hospital.” I warn.

He chuckles, reaching under him where he landed and pulling out the TV remote, waving it in front of my face. “Just landed on the remote, relax.”

I squiggle on the recliner trying to get myself as comfortable as I was before he barged in.

 “I came to give you a ride home after school, but you weren’t there. Could’ve at least texted me.”

I sigh “Yeah, I probably should’ve. I was with this girl.”

His cheeks brighten up, and he turns his attention to me. “So, what girl is head over heels for you this time?”

“That’s the thing, she’s not. I practically had to bribe her with coffee to let me drive her car.”

He laughs “Wow, that’s new. Never thought I’d hear about a girl smart enough to turn you down.”

I shake my head. “She won’t keep turning me down. Trust me.”

“Maybe she just doesn’t like you, dude.” He smiles.

“She does like me.” I protest.

“Just accept it.” He urges.

“Whatever.”

He sighs “Well, at least you’re moving on from Riley.”

“I have moved on.” I look up, seeing him rolling his eyes.

I bring me feet up, gazing outside the window. It’s dark outside. It’s only been about an hour since I left her. I saw her mom stomp out of her house furious. I’m guessing they got into an argument. I never expected a girl like her living alone. What if she’s scared? Does she like being alone? Nah, I don’t think she’s alone. She has those friends of hers that stop by her house, probably all the time. Most people like her with good grades and can basically have any amazing life they would want, have the happiest relationship with their parents. I know something’s wrong, she looked at her mother like she was just another person. I can tell they’re not on good terms.

I dart out of my thoughts by the sound of Mike munching on a bag of chips. I can’t believe he was shot. Lots of people get shot, I’ve seen it, but it’s different when you know the person. No matter how much blood has been lost, you think you’re going to lose them.

“What are you looking at me like that for?” I haven’t noticed I was staring at him. Talk about creepy.

I rub my eyes, trying to get rid of the sleep making its way in. “You never told me about who shot you.”

His face pales. “It doesn’t matter.”

“Why did they do it anyway? Why did they shoot you?” His face never regained color. I can tell he’s thinking of an answer. “Are you part of the gang again?”

His eyes close, taking a deep breath in. “Yes.”

My jaw clenches. “You know what you’re getting into, right?”