Chapter Twenty-Five: Missing Puzzles & Depressing Dreams

The hospital was a cold, bleach smelling place with white walls and nurses all in the same plain purple and green outfit. The last time Leslie was in a hospital was when her and D'Angelo went to see his mother, which was a week ago. This time the detective was at the hospital for information and her best friend. Evelyn walked down the wide hall with a container full of blood, outfit was a simple purple with white shoes, hair pinned up in a ponytail and a bored look upon her beautiful face.

Eve sighed heavily once close to her friend, "This is a really bad timing, Les. I'm up to my ass with blood donations and patients with the flu."

"It'll only take a second."

"Fine, but we'll have to walk and talk." Eve lead the way to the other connected hall with flu patients and other sick people with minor conditions. "If it's about Senator Bass murder, we did not have anyone suspicious come by with wounds- specifically claw marks or stab wounds, not even a gunshot. Which in general sense, it's good that there's a decrease of major weapon inflicted injuries in the past two weeks."

Leslie cursed under her breath, "I purposely came here last after checking every hospital known to man. I would have to go out of town."

"That's like over fifty hospitals."

"I have an assistant. A P.I."

Eve stopped in front of the blood storage room, "I'll be back." She swiped her card, the doors automatically opened for the nurse to walk in. Leslie looked around to see no eye witnesses before sneaking in. "For a cop, you don't follow the rules." Eve announced while continuing her job. "A P.I, huh? Didn't know the case was that hard for you to have a private investigator."

Les looked at the large refrigerators full of blood, her eyes scanned over the cold crimson liquid while reading the labels: B positive, A negative, O positive, O negative. "Long story. I also need a favor."

Evelyn let the fridge door shut and turned to her best friend- brows furrowed and lips thinned. "I gave you many favors Les, I almost lost my job from the last one."

Leslie nod her head in understanding, she remembered that day when Evelyn cursed her out in frustration. "This time, it's small and doesn't involve your job."

"Want me as bait?"

"No. I want you to be a test dummy."

Evelyn brows raised in question, "What?"

"Test dummy. I need a visual of the case and you're about Ms. Bass height and close to her size except with the thinner waist and extra junk in the trunk. Just a quick run over." Leslie shrugged her shoulders.

Evelyn scoffed and shook her head. "I'm not going to be shot, am I?"

"Why would I do that?"

"Seriously, after what happened the last time I was your test dummy. You almost shot my toes off."

"That was over two years ago, and it was the precincts fault for not removing the bullet in the chamber. Come on Eve, when you as the last time you got your hands dirty?"

"This morning, cleaning shit and vomit from the floor." Evelyn walked past the detective and jabbed the button to open the door.

Leslie was hot on her tail in the hall, dodging wheel chairs and monitors, coughing patients and busy nurses; all in which the detective despised, it reminded her of sickness and death. "Please Eve, I need your help; my foot is not even in the door with this case. I'll buy you that bra you like or take you out for lunch."

"How about both? My shift ends at two, I can be your test dummy and your lunch date."

"You're a life savor, I'll text you the address." Les kissed Evelyn's cheek before running away before the nurse could change her mind.