2- The Unpleasant Surprise

Chapter 2 | The Unpleasant Surprise

The picture above isn't my image.

~~~~~~~

I awake to the horrid sound every human being hates. The dreaded windchime of my alarm blares from my nightstand, signaling that it's time to get up.

I unburrow one of my hands from underneath the covers, lazily clicking the snooze button before throwing the hand over my eyes. Forget school. All I want to do is to go back to sleep. I wish we had some sort of technology that could reverse time, because if we did I'd totally make use of it right now to get a couple more hours of slumber.

Unfortunately, even if that was a thing, the sharp clatter of glass shattering echoes from the hall. It instantly snaps my dreary self fully awake, making me hollow with anticipation.

What the heck was that?

Being that my dad already left for work (he has to leave the house an hour before I get up) it has to be my mom who's causing all the ruckus. Either that or we've got a very unskilled robber on the loose.

Worried for mine and my mothers safety, I rush down the hall and towards the source of the loud sound, which leads me into the kitchen. I hold a stuffed animal from on my bed poised in front of me, which was the first thing I absentmindedly grabbed as a choice of weapon. I don't really know what I'll be able to do with it besides maybe play an intense game of whack-o-mole, but I guess it's better than nothing.

Thankfully, it's just my mom. She sits on the floor with broken dishes scattered around her, making it a challenge to get any closer.

"Mom, are you alright?" I ask, my voice laced with confusion as I stare at her crouched down form.

As if she just notices me, she finally looks up. "I'm fine, just a little dazed. I tried to put the plates on the top shelf, but they slipped out of my hands."

She gestures to the broken glass plates around her, carefully rising back up.

Of course, I see this as an open window of opportunity. If I waste my time with getting ready and clean this mess up, I'll be able to hopefully miss some time at school.

I bat my eyes, smiling innocently. "You know, I can clean the mess up and help you out a little."

She isn't buying my act whatsoever. "I know what you're trying to do. Hurry up and go get ready, I've got it."

I step forward, ready to argue, but she's unfazed by my defiance. She glares at me with a blinding mom look: a look of pure steel.

"Okay okay. I'll go get ready," I mutter in surrender, raising my arms warily as I carefully step rearwards. Internally I want to argue, but I don't want to get into any more trouble this early in the morning.

She nods in satisfaction, afterwards stepping over the mess she made to search for the broom that's hidden somewhere amidst the cluster of multi-sized moving boxes.

With Sultan right behind me I saunter over to my room, reluctantly preparing for my first day of school.

***

I stalk out of the double doors to the apartment, my dark blue Adidas backpack slung over my shoulder. My hair is pulled half up, showing off my new earrings I got on sale at my all time favorite store, Target.

Being that my mom is already waiting in the car, I hastily and moodily zip my backpack upon my shoulders while I speedwalk towards the vehicle. She's intent on getting me to school early- which I usually wouldn't mind- but at the moment I'm only running on a few anxious hours of sleep. There also is the fact that I'm not looking torwards the day ahead, leaving no will to go forward.