21- Chance's Alluring Aura

Chapter 21 | Chance's Alluring Aura

♤♡♤♡♤♡♤

"You did what?" Axel asks incredibly, green eyes practically bulging out of his sockets as he gazes down at me in surprise. We're headed to lunch together, as always, being that I didn't have ISS for very long. I only had it for an hour and a half, and I took the opportunity to catch up on some very well needed shut eye.

Let me tell you, it wasn't very comfortable sleeping at a desk the way it twists, turns, and pokes your body, but I managed and it made me feel the tiniest bit more human.

"I told off a dude Axel. No big deal. If I can do it to Noah, I can do it to anyone." I look up at his monstrous build, catching a glint of amusement lightening up his eyes. Why is he so amused? I don't have a clue.

"You sure do have such a contentious personality for such a tiny body," he teases. It's completely unnecessary, but he decides to strengthen his point on how diminuative I am next to him by lengthening his posture. The top of my head barely comes up to his chin, and that was before he stretched out taller. Now I seem like a midget. A seed beside a fully grown tree.

"I'm only short compared to you and your gang of ginormous oak trees," I argue, referring to his bestfriends: him, Sam, and the one whose name I shall not speak of anymore.

"Sure shorty." He snorts, reaching over and messing up the top of my hair like I was a dog. My hands fly to the disaster and I shoot him a glare that he annoyingly returns with a smile. I can't retain the ability to be mad at him after his playful behavior, so I just shake my head and roll my blue eyes in a fake irritated fashion.

"And contentious? Really?" I swear, all these natives must read the dictionary for fun or something based off of their vocab.

"I won't judge you if you don't judge me."

It would be more beneficial for me if I just agree. For all I know things would just get weird if I don't. You would understand if you personally knew this doofus. "Deal."

We reach the green pigmented lunchroom doors soon after the newfound compromise. I turn to walk the other way, which at first goes unnoticed by Axel. However when he turns to talk to me and sees I'm not there, his eyebrows furrow in confusion. He retraces his steps, fast walking over to my retreating self in a matter of a couple strides.

"Why are you going this way? Aren't you sitting at the usual table?"

"Not today," I respond, my mouth traced in a thin line.

I had decided during the lengthy hours of detention ― the parts I didn't sleep in ―that I wouldn't sit with them today. Noah and I need some time apart. I think we both would have a mutual agreement on that.

"Why not? Problems with Taylor or Carolynn? Or is it Victoria? It's Victoria isn't it? I'll make sure she doesn't talk to you if you want and I can-"

I cut him off before he runs out of breath due to his unstopping mouth.

"No," I say a little too quickly, pausing as my breathing hitches. I realllly suck at this lying thing.

I refuse to tell Axel about the drama between what's his face and I though. He doesn't deserve to be the guy in the middle. He's too caring and I know he will be torn to figure out his two friends are fighting.

"I just want to sit someplace else for today. Nothing against any of you," I finish, avoiding his gaze as I pray he will believe it.

"You want to. . . sit somewhere else?"

"That's correct."

"Uh, where?"

Whoops, I didn't even think this far ahead. I have no answer whatsoever. I could just head over to the library, but that's on the complete opposite side of the school compared to where I stand now. Plus, I don't want to sit alone in that quiet room. I would probably get shushed by just chewing. The librarian there is weird.