5- Operation Party

Chapter 5 | Operation Party

Above is how I picture Carolynn. Not my image.
-----------------

I make my way into the doorway of Algebra 2, my tie dye folder and matching notebook in hand. I still possess Noah's pencil, which is now in my backpocket, and I'm not planning on giving it back anytime soon. The jerkface can live without it.

Thankfully, this time I arrive fairly early to class. I am allowed a wide variety of seat choices, so I choose a desk as far away from the teacher's desk I can manage in hopes she doesn't introduce me to the class like every other teacher I have had today. It's not that I am shy, I just don't want the attention. I want to fade in the background for once and for all, even though it's practically impossible by now. I've heard my name mentioned multiple times as I walked through the hallways earlier and I'm sure that people will be scouring their classes to see if the one girl that's all the rage is in it. I might've gotten used to ignoring it, but that doesn't mean I still don't hate it.

More people file in as I keep myself busy by rearranging my stuff, smallest on top to biggest on the bottom. A familiar head of messy black curls catches my peripheral though, distracting me from my task as he waves at me in greeting. He begins to stride over, but he reers back as a hand snakes from beside him and grabs him by the back of his shirt collar. The smile I had acquired during five seconds instantly vanishes, leaving my mood sour.

That's right, Noah joined the party. Yay. (Note the sarcasm.)

He releases the collar of Axel's shirt as soon as Axel gets the nonverbal message to not come over by me. To ensure Axel won't walk over anyways, Noah firmly grasps Axel's wide arm to pull him towards the other section of the room. Axel's gaze catches mine, still smiling like an idiot at me as he is dragged across the room. Sam trudges behind them both, appearing quite bored and unconcerned as he stiffles a yawn. I'm guessing this isn't too abnormal for them.

More and more people flood in as time passes, the bulk clustering around the three boys located at the other end of the room. Between all three of them, they form a triangle. Sam sits behind Axel, Noah resting beside them both as the point. Everyone else scrambles to surround them.

I roll my eyes, lowering my head to rest it on my hands. I can already spot the wanting gazes of other girls directed towards the trio, and frankly expect a lot more of them in the days to come. I'm glad attention is drawn away from me, don't get me wrong, but the worship people have for these boys is both crazy and weird. Thankfully, I'm saved by the bell as it rings and signals the start of class.

"Okay class, take out your notebooks, we are reviewing the law of cosines and law of sines," he orders. When everyone reluctantly takes out their notebooks with a few groans of protest, the girl from lunch with strawberry blond hair rushes in, breathing heavily.

"You're tardy, Carolynn." he scolds half heartedly. He then gestures to the seat beside me with his pen. "Take a seat by Kirsten."

Even though he hadn't pointed out I was the new girl, everyone's head swivel at the sound of my familiar and yet still foreign name. I ignore their interested stares, trying to focus on the smudged pencil mark on my desk even though I want to ask them if they have anything better to do than stare at me.

"It won't happen again, I'm sorry," she apologizes to him meekly. I can hear her boots pad over in my direction, stopping by the seat next to me.

"So, cosine is A squared plus b squared minus two times a and b times the cosine of the angle, while sine is..."

He officially loses me then. Math is not my forte, and these formulas are too confusing for my brain to wrap around and understand. To make matters worse, this is a completely new chapter than what I had left off with. I have no idea ws the law of a stop sign is and why it's in my math class. So much for having learned everything in Florida.