23- Never Mess With A Girl's Food

Chapter 23 | Never Mess With A Girl's Food

This chapter is a littler longer because the last one was kind of short. Anyway, enjoy!

-----------

"Hey Kirst," Taylor's voice sings from across the school hall. It's gotten to a point I can pinpoint her voice anywhere, even inside the loud hallway.

When I look over my shoulder, all I see is a blond head weaving through the jumble of students who are eager to leave and pushing past her towards the door. It's sort of comical, and the sight leaves a smile on my lips.

As I wait for her to arrive, I quickly grab my backpack off of the hook and slam my locker shut. As I'm pulling it onto my shoulders, she finally approaches.

I'm mentally crossing my fingers that she doesn't bring up my absence today at lunch, so I attempt to remain casual. "Hi Tay."

"So what was up with the whole not sitting at our table thing? Are you mad at someone or something?" She inquires, confusion lingering in her chocolate gaze.

Dangit, I jinxed myself. Second time of the day.

How do I escape this situation? I really don't want to tell her about Chance yet, especially in a hallway full of nosy and gossip seeking teenagers.

Sensing my reluctance to answer, she pouts, however doesn't push on the subject. I could practically hug her right then and there, but I refrain because of the limited amount of room in the crammed space.

"Okay, nevermind. Anyways, I was thinking you and Carolynn should come over my house and we could have a little girls night. Since it's Carolynn's birthday I thought it would be a fun thing to do."

As soon as the words leave her mouth, a feeling of dread takes its place in the pit of my stomach. I bring my hand up to my face, roughly dragging it down.

"I'm such a bad person. I'm literally the worst person on earth so help me God I-"

"What?" Taylor cuts me off, oblivious to the reason of my guilt.

"I didn't know it was her birthday! I even sat right next to her in Math, but I was too distracted because of Ch-"

Only aware of what I'm telling her halfway through the word, I quickly morph it into 'Homework'. Despite my feeble save, it ends up coming out sounding like 'Chomework'.

This non-existent filter on my mouth thing really needs to 'mutate and adapt to my environment.' Bet that's the only time I'll ever use a sentence from biology for the rest of my life.

Incredibly, she doesn't take note of my slip up.

"Don't worry, I'm sure she won't hold it against you. I don't think she particularly likes all of the attention anyways to be honest," she points out.

I'm about to comment about how she's probably right, but the words are sucked into thin air as she suprises me by briskly grasping my hand, pulling me through the disintegrating ocean of students.

"Where are we going?" I ask, brows arched as I stare down my captors back.

"My house, duh."