16- Expect The Unexpected

Chapter 16 | Expect The Unexpected

~~~~~~~

Just my luck. I jinxed it.

I don't even need to look to know it's him. My short legs work double time to get to the car faster, throwing the attempt at inconspicion out of the door. I reach the vehicle a couple seconds later, and from my spot I can see the keys glistening in the middle of the drivers seat, mocking me. I put my hand on the glass window, staring at them indignantly. They're so close, yet so far.

Trying my luck I jerk the car handle a couple times, but soon find out the one time I'm a responsible human being, I locked it. This is why I'm not responsible. I would've been in a better situation if I was irresponsible and forgot to lock the car.

Heavy footsteps on gravel trudge in my direction, causing me to temporarily freeze in fear. I already felt something off about the hoodie dude the first time I saw him in school, and the fact that he seemingly is following me strengthens my suspicions. There's not really many explanations for someone in all black to follow me to my car at one in the morning, and something else about him tells me he's not looking to compliment my outfit.

Giving up with the car, I snap out of the daze and discreetly grab my phone out of my back pocket. Ever so casually I walk towards the trunk, mostly so he won't see me.

I only have a short amount of time until this person reaches the car and figures out I know he's following me. I could call 911, but that would lead to trouble. I'd be questioned, the school would be talking about me more than ever, and most importantly, my parents would be under much stress, guilt, and shame. They barely get enough sleep on their busy schedules in a normal day, and they've already been so much I swear I've seen gray hairs that hadn't been there a month ago.

I don't really have the time to talk some sense into myself. The decision made, with the next couple seconds I have left I dial for one of the most intimidating people I know, one that'll be sure to scare off whoever this creep is. I don't remember how I got his number, I don't remember putting it in myself, but I had noticed it appear a day or so ago.

"Pick up," I plead, frustrated tears blurring my vision as the dial tone begins.

Knowing I don't have much time left, with all the courage I can muster I slowly peek around the side of the Jeep. My grip on my ringing phone had become so hard I feel like it might break, but it loosens as I take in my surroundings. The mysterious dude is gone, parking lot as empty as it was originally.

I sigh into the reviever, posture slackening with relief. I was being paranoid. I exhale a large breath, turning back around to rest my back on the Jeep.

I'm about to end the still going call when my small body unexpectedly brushes against something warm. I practically jump ten feet in the air in my startlement.

A tall person in a strangely familiar black hoodie is stationed right beside me. His face is concealed with a ski mask, one I don't recall was there before.

I drop my phone in my surprise, temporarily immobilized while terror runs through my veins.

He growls like a threatening animal, using my hesitation to run as an advantage and reaching over quickly to snatch my arm. As soon as I hear the frightening rumble in his throat though, I take off running, so by the time he attempts to grab me all he gets is thin air.