6- Who Are You And Where Is Kirsten?

Chapter 6 | Who Are You And Where Is Kirsten?

--------

We both climb into my mom's car. I take shotgun, while Taylor lugs herself into the back middle seat.

"Hey Mrs. Blair! I'm Taylor," she greets amiably. "I hope if it's okay if I ride home with you today."

"Hello, nice to meet you," my mother acknowledges with a smile no doubt caused by Taylor's friendly approach. "And of course it is!"

She then turns her attention away from Taylor and towards me, enthusiasm now visible in her gaze. "You made friends really quick. I'm super glad you're adjusting easily."

I avert my gaze from hers, though I try and keep my face as neutral as possible. If only she knew how horrible my first day actually went: a dramatic welcoming that ended with dozens of rumors about me. All because of that one stupid couple. I am doing anything but fitting in.

Still, if I don't say anything to her she'll get suspicious, and the last thing I want her to do is to call the principal and complain about the school. Therefore, I give her a big smile and nod my head.

Thankfully, Taylor jumps back into the conversation. "So Kirsten and I were wondering if I could go over and hang so we can get to know each other better. Plus I have all the details on the teachers, which I'm more than willing to share."

"That's a really good idea Taylor! You should show her around the city too, if you guys have the chance. I wanted to take her, but I don't know anything more than she does. It's on me. Go get dinner or something."

What? How did Taylor do that? She literally had my mom walk right into that trap. Herself.

"That'll be so fun, good idea! Thank you Mrs. Blair," she replies with a gargantuan smile.

"By the way, you can call me Holly," my mother adds. It's obvious she has taken an immediate liking to her.

But if she ever knew Taylor is lying...

***

Taylor and I are settled on my pink comforter, my dog Sultan comfortably cuddling in the space between us.

Let me clear this up. Before anyone gets the idea that my dog loves me, they're wrong. It's more of a one-sided relationship. I love him to death, and he doesn't care.

This is extremely apparent because he currently ignores my existence, instead zoning in on Taylor. Every time she so much as glances in his direction, his bushy tail wags furiously and he lunges forward, trying to lick her face off. 

Other than that, we've been undisturbed for a long while. My mom had let us be after giving us a ginormous bowl of popcorn, of which was eaten by mostly me in a matter of minutes. I already know I don't have to worry about my dad. He will still be at work by the time we leave the apartment for the party.

Currently, it's six forty-five, meaning it's time to get ready soon. During the remaining time we have until we leave, we play a quick game of "20 questions", although it is basically just me asking her questions and her shooting answers back.

"Have you lived in Michigan all your life?"

She answers simply. "Yeah. The weather is bipolar and there's not as much to do as Florida, but it's cool I guess."

"What's your favorite color?" Not very relevant, but I was curious.

"Baby blue. It's actually both my brother and I's favorite."

My eyebrows raise slightly, gaze darting away from the dog next to us to meet hers. "You have a brother? Is he in our grade? Does he look like you?"

Her eyes instantly drop to her hands, which subtly wring together.  "He doesn't go to our school if that's what you're thinking. He's older than me; I think he's twenty by now. I don't know exactly what he looks like though. He moved out when he was sixteen. It's been a long time since I've seen him." Her mouth turned downward, dark eyes becoming glossy as she reminisces.