He's Reading

"Tell me, how did I agree to cleaning the whole library?" I said finally sitting afer, I think, three hours of constant cleaning.

"Because you like me and because I have cookies." Charles replied with a smile, putting a plate full of cookies on now clean table. He sat across from me and ate one of them.

I looked around to see the effects of our combined work. The library looked even more magical then before now that the dust was gone. We brought a couple of candles and put them in the candlesticks and onto the tables to give us more light.

"I really love how the light reflects in your eyes, they look like the milky way. I could just stare at them for ever..." He said in a dreamy voice. I could feel my face getting red.

"Your eyes are nice too-"

"Candlesticks! I mean I can stare at those candlesticks for ever. They have a really nice pattern, kinda looks like stars. Very nice." He stuffed a couple of cookies into his mouth. "I've got an idea, let's read. Yeah." He said while chewing.

I sighed and decided to ignore completely what just happen, he probably was just trying to be nice anyway. He stood up to find a book for himself. I took that book I'd earlier put away on a table. I looked at it more closely, it didn't open like a normal book. The butterfly was actually a lock. It took me a while to figure out how to open it. You had to move up its wings then you could move it to the back, clever. I opened it on the first page. God, I love the smell of old books.

"Lucid dreams - The gateway to a different reality." was written on it with black ink, which began to fade away. Okay, that sounds interesting. I adjusted my position so I would be more comfortable because I wouldn't be standing up in a while. I turned to the next page.

Every night our brain constructs a fictional reality that's completely separate from the outside world. Sometimes, the dream experience feels so real that we don't realize it's actually a dream until we wake up. But it is possible for people to become aware that they're dreaming - and from there, they have the ability to control and bend their dream reality. Could it be because the dream world is real, but most people can't realize this?

Okay that sounds almost almost exactly like what George had told me. Below that there were drawn different phases of the moon and table of contents. I briefly read through it.

"... Sleeping phases..." I whispered to myself. "The Hallway of realities... The Dream world... How to move to the Dream world!" All of this... This wrote someone who knew the truth! Why would a book about this be in Lee's library!? I thought I was the only one that knew? Could it be that Lee also knows? He could've read this, so that's plausible. And he acted so calmly when I told him about this, while I was panicking! But why didn't he tell me? I mean he told me about some book, but not THE book with all of the information!"

"Sam, are you okay? You're shaking and doing that thing where you whisper to yourself you always do when you're panicking. Did you saw a spider or something?"

Oh... What do I do? "N-no, I'm just a bit cold a-and worried that I won't finish reading this right now. I really liked this book and need to know how it ends."

Charles chuckled. "For someone almost as smart as Hamilton you can sometimes act like a dummy." He smiled. "You don't have to worry about that, I have many books. I can even give it to you as a 'thank you' for helping me clean here."

"Really?" Hm... If he knew what's this book really about he wouldn't give it up so easily, so maybe I'm just worrying for nothing. He couldn't knew what I knew. Actually he couldn't even read that book, he doesn't like reading, and I was the first one to remove the dust from it. But how did it end up in this place? Did someone from his family wrote it one day? Or maybe it was a gift? I can't ask him any of that or he could get suspicious.

"Yeah, you can take it. And if you'll see another book that u want to read you can always borrow it or just come here to read it. This library could be our little sicret." He winked.

"Thank you Charlie~" I ran to him and gave him a big friendly hug and a peck on the cheek.

"It's nothing bro, I have lots of books as you can see." Slightly red he then turned back to his book.

I went back to my spot and opened the book on the chapter I was most interested in. It was about this whole place where I land every time I fall asleep. I already knew a couple of things, like that I can move the things from the real world to the dream world if I focus enough, but this chapter explained how to do it exactly, and a bunch of other things. I guess that means that I could bring this book there and show it to George.

I decided to do just that. I slowly read what I had to do and followed the instructions.

Before falling asleep grasp the object you want to move with you and focus on it. Lay in a comfortable position and try to fall asleep, but try to focus on what's in your hand. Imagine it being moved with you. If after falling asleep you appear to be in a normal sleep try to wake up in your sleep, but not the real world (more on how in "Lucid dreams" chapter) caution: if the object takes any damage depending on where it happens the damage can appear in the real world as well.

Okay... I closed my eyes and.... Focus....

I opened my eyes to the white once again. This time I felt a bit heavier and more focused, like this world was becoming more and more real each time I came here.

"The book!" I quickly looked at my hand, but I didn't saw it there. I felt disappointed at first, but then I remembered that the instructions said how to move the object with you to your dream and, from what George had told me, this was not my dream but the whole middle ground real-not-real place. Unfortunately now I didn't had the book with me to read how to bring it here. I had to figure it out myself. How to move something from the real world here? My clothes! I was wearing what I wore in the real world every time I moved here, but why? Maybe because I thought of them as a part of how I'd looked? So when this whole magical force moved me it also moved all that I thought was a part of me.

I tried that - thinking of book more as a separate object, but like a piece of clothing. I tried to imagine it in my hand. At first it didn't work but then the more I focused on each detail I felt it appear.

"For the first time I moved something intentionally!" I held the book high up. I was so happy! I did it, it worked! But then I took a glance at the other side of the barrier. George was standing there smiling and waving to me. I happily ran to him, wanting to tell him about what I'd found, but then.... I remembered my yesterday's dream. I remember what exactly happened.

"GEORGE YOU BASTARD YOU LEFT ME THERE!!!!"

---
Woah this chapter is kind of trash, but hey, at least I finally finished. No, this book is not dead I just have a writer's block, and I start to regret a bunch of choices I made in this book, for example the fact that the whole book is in Sam's POV, and the font when he's dreaming. Well, we all make mistakes. I don't want to rewrite all of this, so I decided that from now on I'll change the povs, just saying.
~1010 words

~ Edited, yup I changed some things I didn't like (note still Saturday)