24

Elliot

It's Monday and Milan has been silent for the past twenty-four hours and I have successfully gotten Michael into the Pack. Now... All I need to do is talk to their father...

My soon father-in-law... Ugh...

I knocked on the door and waited. "Come in." His voiced muffled from behind the door.

I opened the door and stepped in, closing it behind me. "Good morning, sir."

"Good morning, Elliot." He said without looking up from his papers.

"How was the trip?" I asked.

"The trip was fine and I have good news." He smiled broadly. "And your brother is in town."

"What is it?" I raised an eyebrow. "And why is he here?"

"That has to wait until Milan is here." He placed the paper down. "Would you bring her to me after her afternoon classes?"

"Will do, sir." I nodded.

Then it got silent. The silence that you feel before an awkward subject comes up.

"I've heard that Damon has new recruits." He said slowly. And here it comes. "Did you know that my son is one of them?"

I widened my eyes, faking shock. "He's a what? No, sir, I didn't."

He was tight lipped and expressionless. "I gave you and Milan one job." Then he sighed. "Michelle would kill me if she was here."

"In all of our defenses, sir. She'd kill us all for being a part of any of this." I looked at him. "Remember the look she gave when she found out that Mils and I joined?"

He grinned and shook his head. "I do, and still have the scar to prove it." He pointed to a pale, silvery scar that reached horizontally across his cheek.

I nodded at the recollection of the memory.

Flashback

"You mean to tell me you let a sixteen and seventeen year old join?! And one of which is your own child?!" Mom yelled. Her light brown eyes lit with anger.

Milan held my hand while leaning on my arm. "I bet twenty dollars that Mom chucks that knife at him." She whispered.

"I don't need to bet." I whispered back. "I know she will."

"Baby, calm down, okay? I got it handled." Miguel held his hands up with a pleading smile. "Milan can handle herself. She's a great asset to the business and so is Elliot."

"ASSET?!" Mom's face grew even stormier and she looked like she was about to rain down lava and ashes on Pompeii. And Pompeii is Miguel. "I'LL GIVE YOU AN ASSET!"

"Wrong thing to say." I tsked.

"She's so going to reach for the knife." She chuckled.

"Mmhmm." I nodded.

True to our word, Mom picked up the knife from the table and threw it at him. He staggered back clutching his face with blood seeping through his fingers. Mom stormed towards us, pushing us out of the room.