14: Back To The Old Way

Leo (a couple weeks later)

I arrive at Charlie's house and knock on the door. His mum answers. "Hi, Leo, come in, Charlie's upstairs still in bed."

"Okay," I reply. She lets me in and I go upstairs. I shut the door behind me and sit on Charlie's desk chair, turning to face him as he plays a game on his phone, completely ignoring me. "How are you feeling?"

"Better," he says, putting his phone down and turning off his lamp. I shuffle closer to him. "You?"

"I'm okay," I reply. He goes quiet, face emotionless. What's he thinking? Is he thinking about me? Is thinking about us? "What are you thinking about?"

"Us," he replies, offering a space next to him in bed. I move over and sit beside him. "I'm really sorry about pushing you away and letting things get out of control. I just wanted to do the right thing."

"And you did," I say, turning to face him. "It may not have been the best thing but it was the right thing. Don't beat yourself up for it, it's okay."

"But I hurt you," he says.

"That doesn't matter. All that matters is that you're safe and we're happy, okay?" I say. "Now, what do you want to happen between us?"

"I'm not sure," he replies. "I don't know if I'm strong enough for a relationship right now. I want to be but I don't want to hurt you like that again."

"There's no harm in trying," I suggest.

"No," he replies. "I can't put you through that again and become depressed myself. It's not right and I think we should just go back to how we were before. No hard emotions, no strings attached, just sex."

"But the feelings are bound to get in the way, Charlie," I say.

"I know but it's what I want," he says. "If feelings get in the way, we can see if I'm up for a relationship again. But, right now, I just want sex."

"Just sex then. Any plans for Valentine's Day?"

"Sex?"

"Okay."