Chapter 11 - Apologies

Why did he end up here?

Itachi had been minding his own business, taking a late-night stroll before returning to his new place. He didn't feel entirely comfortable there yet, which he supposed was perfectly normal for any person, let alone a paranoid shinobi. He had been mulling over what Hitori had said to him the other day about his plan for her mission. Although she was probably just tired and frustrated, with good reason, he knew that there was truth in her words. He also felt guilty that his information was out of date and caused this mess to occur.

Kuroku was definitely one of the more resolute and rule-abiding Captains, and he wasn't known for being compassionate. He was a 5-year ANBU veteran and had lost whatever empathy he may have had a long time ago. Considering how passionate Hitori could be about those around her being in danger, he should have rostered a different medic or a different Captain. Though, to be fair, he didn't expect them to run into such a crazy situation. His information had been outdated. Still, he felt terrible that Hitori had gone through so much because of his errors.

So, instead of ending up at his door, he was standing in front of hers. Before he could turn away, the door opened with her confused face peeking from behind it. Her eyes went wide for a brief moment, and she composed herself quickly and swung her door open further.

"I thought I sensed you there. Your chakra feels weird. Are you okay?" She blurted out without really thinking about it, but she fussed about people frequently.

"May I come in?" He somewhat ignored her question in favour of his own, and she blinked at him twice before she stepped aside, opening her door fully.

Her apartment was an exact mirror image of his own. It was very minimally furnished and had very few personal touches aside from a colourful, ornate teapot on the kitchen counter. He supposed there might be more in her bedroom, which was hidden from sight from where he was standing. She closed the door behind them, and he ignored it, but he did feel her awkward demeanour. He saw her shake her head out of the corner of his eye and resisted the urge to do the same, still a little unsure of exactly what he wanted to say and how. It was far too late to leave without saying what he needed to anyway.

She gestured for him to sit at the small dining table with two matching chairs. He sat quietly and linked his fingers together on the table while she floundered around for a few seconds, clearly feeling flustered.

"Uhh, would you...like some tea?" Her tone was carefully controlled, not giving away her thoughts on the situation at hand.

Itachi finally looked over at her and noticed that she certainly wasn't dressed for company, which might have explained her awkwardness. She was in a skimpy, dark blue crop top and a matching pair of shorts with a flower print on the left. They showed the toned muscles of her legs and what looked to be the start of a tattoo that disappeared into her shorts. He blinked slowly and stared at his hands, knowing that it was rude to stare and that, although she was a little distracted, she would notice eventually.

"Yes, thank you." He finally answered her, and she began fussing in her tiny kitchen. Luckily, she grabbed a small cardigan from somewhere and put it on while she made tea.

This gave him a bit of a chance to decide what to say. However, it seemed like only seconds until the kettle whistled loudly, and she poured their tea. She came over to the table, carrying their cups and saucers and carefully placed his down in front of him with a slightly awkward smile. Once she sat down, he just said the first thing that came to mind.

"I apologise."

Hitori bumped her cup in shock, and it made a loud clang against the saucer.

"I'm sorry, what?" She responded after a long moment of silence.