Chapter 29 - Exams

Chapter 29 - Exams

The doors opened, and Itachi straightened and waited for Hitori to come out. The other Jonin exited first, as well as Tsunade, Shizune, and Kakashi. Sakura was standing just outside, a few metres from him, and she was also waiting for their mutual friend. After a moment, Hitori finally came out, shuffling her feet heavily from exhaustion.

Sakura made a beeline for her and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. Although he couldn't hear them from this far away, he could read her lips well enough to tell that Sakura asked if she passed, and Hitori nodded in reply with a grin. Sakura's hand was glowing green, but she removed it after a moment, clearly being happy with her physical health. Some of the other Jonin patted Hitori on the back in congratulations before they left, and Sakura hugged her quickly before bidding her goodbye, mentioning something about the hospital.

Her eyes met his, and he gave her one of his tiny smiles that only lasted a split second, but she got the message and grinned happily before the Hokage stood before her, Shizune on her right looking studious and Kakashi spacing out on her left. The silver-haired man gave him a nod, which he returned in kind before he heard the Hokage's voice loud and clear.

"So, will you be back on the ANBU mission roster now or what?" the older, blonde woman crossed her arms, and although her tone was firm as always, even she had a proud smile on her face. "And I presume Itachi will get back to his regular hours, too?" She said it just loud enough for him to hear.

"Yes, Hokage. Thank you for your support."

Hitori bowed low, and Tsunade patted her on the shoulder with such strength that she wobbled on the spot a little before the three of them moved aside and started their own conversation. She got excited when she looked over to Itachi once more, and all exhaustion aside, she sprinted over to him, laughing happily. She thudded straight into him when she reached him, wrapping her arms around his middle. Composure was all but forgotten, and his eyes were wide before he huffed faintly at her excitement. After a moment, she stiffened and pulled away, looking down at her dirty clothes and giving him an apologetic look. She had no idea, but the three senior shinobi watched their exchange closely, and Itachi pretended he didn't notice their gaze.

"I passed!" She exclaimed happily and bounced on the balls of her feet several times out of sheer joy.

"I gathered that from your excitement." He didn't hesitate, placing a supportive hand on her shoulder and squeezing faintly. "Congratulations, Hitori."

It surprised him, but she put one of her hands atop his in an appreciative gesture, and he couldn't help his eyes softening at her smiling face and shining eyes. She had been so unsure of herself, but her confidence had increased twofold over the last few months they had been training together, and he was impressed by her skill. She learnt fast, took criticism well, and worked hard, though as soon as they stopped, she wasn't interested in moving a muscle.

He really was proud of her.

"Can you make me food, please? I'm so hungry!" she groaned with a pout on her face, making him raise an eyebrow at her. He was trying not to smile at her expression. Her puppy dog eyes worked their magic, and he sighed and nodded.

Grabbing his outstretched arm, she pulled it into a firm grip for someone who was so 'tired and hungry'. Resting her head on his upper arm as they walked away, Itachi still felt eyes on them but found that he didn't really care too much if anyone thought it was strange. This was a happy occasion, and he was glad she wanted to celebrate with him. He was used to her physical contact now, too, and relaxed as best he could. He had come to very much enjoy when she fiddled with his collar or brushed something off his clothes. The moments where they were close enough for him to take in her scent were something he enjoyed far more than he was willing to admit.