Chapter 39 - A House, Not a Home

Chapter 39 - A House, Not a HomeThe next morning, around 10 AM...

Hitori slowly roused from her sleep, taking in the different sounds around her. She could hear the sounds from the market and the people bustling outside, going about their day. After a few minutes of laying there, denying reality for a little bit longer, she sat up and scratched her head. She felt much better, but her body was sore from the travel. It was expected, and she flooded chakra through her body and repaired the damage, clearing the lactic acid from her muscles. Once she wasn't so sore, she got up and stretched before she headed to the kitchen. She downed two full glasses of water and then went back to her room and got changed. Since she was heading to the hospital for the first time, she put on something tidy. It was a pair of cropped navy pants, with a black shirt that was modelled off a medic's apron but with modifications for the field. She rarely worked in the hospital any more, but this was what she usually wore when she did.

After she pulled her hair back into a ponytail, she cleaned up in the bathroom and headed out, placing a chakra seal on her door so she didn't have to remember the key all the time. She headed out, giving the doorman a polite nod as she left. Once she arrived at the hospital, she took the time to introduce herself and greet as many employees as she could. The more people who knew her, the better. She would be more than likely to make some friendships and maybe win a few favours if possible. Having connections was handy in a foreign place, especially as a shinobi.

Gradually, she made her way through the whole hospital, intending to go and see the Head Medic once she had begun to memorise the layout. It was similar to the Konoha hospital, so it wasn't too challenging. Some wards were on different floors, but she was sure she would go to the wrong place on several occasions out of sheer habit. When she was ready, she asked one of the nurses she had already spoken to where the Head Medic was, and she pointed in the direction of his office. He was on the first floor, and she went down the stairs and past the triage and saw the right sign on one of the doors. It was closed, so she hoped he was in there so she could meet him.

She knocked, and a voice behind the door permitted her entry. After she opened the door, she bowed and straightened a moment later.

"I am Sokkenai Hitori from Konoha. I've come to meet you at the Mizukage's request." She smiled politely and took in his appearance.

He was a man in his 40s and had the telltale appearance of a medic. Minimal scars or visible marks and kind eyes. His hair was dark, short, and well-kept. Some medics at his age had only ever worked in the hospital and only done fieldwork when they were much younger, as genin and chunin. It was possible that he had done some since then, but gauging what she could, that wasn't the case. She hoped they got along well because if he opposed her teachings, her program would fail before it had even started.

"Ah, I've heard all about you. The Mizukage spoke to me about it personally. I am Yoi Kizaru." He bowed back. "Good to hear that I have some help teaching our field medics." His voice was so soft and quiet that she barely heard him.

"I wanted to come and let you know that I'm happy to help out around the hospital when I'm not teaching as well. An extra pair of hands is always appreciated." She replied with a smile, trying to match him as best she could, and he seemed receptive enough.

"That would be great. Thank you. I'm sure some of the staff in-house could learn something from you too. Feel free to work here when you can, and I'll ensure the Mizukage pays you for your time. Here is your pass. I can get you a timecard set up as well." He offered, and Hitori nodded in answer as she took her hospital pass from him and attached it to her shirt. "Well, if you need anything else, please come and let me know. I'm looking forward to having you here."