Ch 20: Power games

Kiran finished reading the project file and tiredly put it away. This was her first solo project and she was working hard on it. She needed to convince the investors tomorrow to trust her vision for this project.

She got up and went to their bedroom. Adiraj was already in bed, his eyes closed, he was still wearing reading glasses and a magazine was lying next to him. She picked it up, and put it away. She took off his glasses and put them on table too. She felt remorseful for a moment, he had tried to stay awake for her, but she was so lost in work that she forgot the time. She got in the bed and pulled the covers over both of them.

...

Kiran watched shocked as the investors walked out on her after refusing. She couldn't believe it. She angrily called her secretary,'' why wasn't the latest report included in the data given to me?''

The secretary looked at her bewildered,'' ma'am it was included with the rest of the documents.''

Kiran angrily showed her file,'' where is it then?''

The secretary looked through the file and stopped on a page,'' here, this page contains all the information.''

Kiran blinked in surprise, how could she have missed such an important information?

She waved for secretary to go and then sank back in chair feeling worried over the reaction she was going to get from her father.

...

Adiraj watched Kiran silently eating the food. She had been really quiet today.

Adiraj,'' Your father managed to convince the investors at the end, so nothing to worry. Don't blame yourself.''

Kiran tried to smile, how could she tell Adiraj that her father had behaved badly with her privately in office? He had cursed her, and came close to slapping her. She was used to it but today her father had said bad things about Adiraj and it had hurt her.

Adiraj grabbed her hand,''let's go somewhere this weekend, how about france? Let's enjoy good opera and relax''

Kiran nodded as she bent and kissed his hand.

...

Adiraj read the message, the landlord of the property had agreed to Adiraj's terms and he had agreed to sell the land to Adiraj.

Adiraj closed the cell phone. One issue was resolved. He opened his laptop and quickly wrote down an email to his supervisor and cc and bcc it to other people, the email stated his queries regarding the raw material. As usual, no one replied back. But that was fine with him. It was good that no one in this place took him seriously.

...

Few months later

Kiran came out of his father's office ashen face, another deal had been cancelled because of her. She had carefully spoken to the foreign clients, another linguistic expert had been with her to help and she had carefully noted the details of the contract but somehow the final deal had contained different information, the little word, 'as'', 'at'' really mattered in legal context and she and her whole team had messed up badly costing her father extra money. Everyone in her team was fired immediately by her dad.

Head held high she walked down the foyer, hoping against hope that she could hold in her tears, her father's words ringing in her ears,'' Well suited match you have found yourself, both are failures. Can't do anything right, the pair of you!''

She felt a hand on her arm and looked up to see the face of Adiraj, he looked worried,'' You okay?''

Kiran hugged him, not caring who was watching,'' can you please take me away?''

Before Adiraj could reply, Khanna was there with rest of Adiraj's team.

He politely nodded at Kiran and then, turned to Adiraj giving him no such courtesy,'' Mr Raizada, I have scheduled an emergency meeting right now.''

Adiraj,'' Can you postpone it for an hour or two? There is nothing urgent regarding the project right now.''

Khanna drew himself to his full height and pointed angrily toward the new supervisor,'' he is incompetent..he''

Adiraj tried to control his anger, no supervisor or manager was allowed to stay on this project more than few days, each one was fired, and it was no wonder the staff was making mistakes now out of fear. Everyone knew that working for this project meant termination of employment within the week. But today, he was not in the mood for it. Kiran looked so pale. He ignored Khanna and his ranting and went out with Kiran.