Ch 28: A last talk

Kiran browsed through the wardrobe which was full of brand new clothes, all her size and from her favourite designers. She decided to go for a blue knee length dress and styled her hairs in French twist. In ears she wore gold ear rings. She kept her make up light, she was having her first official dinner with Adiraj and his father.

It turned out to be much less formal than she expected. Adiraj's father was really nice, he told her about Adiraj's childhood, and then asked about hers.

She tried to remember the happy times. Her father was the star figure in her childhood. She remembered that he used to take her to office when she was little and when she grew up, after school her driver took her to office. Those were not bad times, she reflected. But as she grew up her father wanted her to focus on things he wanted. It was tiring to always trying pleasing him and she could never made him proud.

Abhinav, Adiraj's father, was really attentive to what she had to say. She was happy that he was going to be her father in law. After the dinner finished, Adiraj left to take a phone call. Abhinav smiled at Kiran and thanked her for listening and believing in him.

Kiran,'' I should thank you for helping me move forward in life.''

Abhinav smiled,'' I will be always there. You are like my daughter from now onwards. If you have any issue with Adiraj, let me know and I will box his ears.''

Kiran smiled,'' I will box his ears myself.''

Abhinav's looked at her and then said,'' I think you can actually do it.''

Abhinav was quite for a moment and then said,'' I will go and speak with your dad. I am not sure that if he will agree for your and Adiraj's marriage but I will try to convince him.''

Kiran didn't say anything. She loved her father but he had thrown her out of his life.

...

After abhinav came back from meeting her father, he seemed sad. He told Kiran that her father was vehemently against the wedding but he wanted to speak with Kiran. Kiran took the message but didn't call her father. When the first card for her wedding day was printed and shown to her. She sent it to her father.

On her wedding day, when she was getting ready she received her family jewellery from her father. Everything was there from her maternal and parental side. There was a wedding dress too. She wore it even though it didn't match the theme but one last time she wanted to wear something from her family.

When she walked down the aisle leading to the stage, Adiraj stood up for her. Their clothes which were supposed to match were totally different now. Instead of green now she was wearing gold lehngha from head to toe with a red dupatta, the signature colour of singhania family emblem. The colour actually suited her natural skin tone. She looked ethereal.

He came down from the stage and held his hand out for her. Together they walked up together, he in a dark green almost black velvet shirwaani and her in gold and red. Somehow they looked good together, managing to give a natural bride and groom look.

...

When the wedding rituals were finished and Kiran was back in Raizada house. She looked at the beautifully adorned room and smiled. Even though her dad didn't came but he had took first step past his pride and even though Adiraj had lied to her but he had tried to move pass his personal insecurities and tried to contact her father.

She looked out of the window into the night whose darkness was lessened by the moonlight. Her life was now bit less dark too.

...

Time passed sometime slow, sometime fast but it always moved forward. Kiran never realised that she had the capacity to love someone more than Adiraj but her little bundle of joy enlightened her. The little baby who was named digvijay by her grandfather, her father, was now the most important person for her in world.

During the past year no matter how much abhinav had tried but her father hadn't met her or Adiraj. But when he heard that she was in labour and in hospital, he had come. She didn't know why he had come, was it because of her or his grandchild? She would never know. But he had come to hospital.

All was not well between her and her dad because he hadn't apologized to her or spoken to her but true to his personality he had named his grandson and came to visit him every weekend.

She didn't say anything either because he was the parent and he was suppose to take the first step.

But she did grumble to Adiraj at night telling him that if he ever hit digvijay or was mean to him, then she will leave him.

He had smiled and hugged her closer,'' No problem, I know I am not going to do any of those things.''

She knew he would never do it. He loved the baby most in the world, just like she did. It didn't mean that they didn't love each other anymore but the feelings they had for their little boy were something different.

Their life was ideal, what more a person could want in life? She was rich, healthy and loved. May be the years she had spent in misery had been compensated by all the happiness in her life.

...

But of course, life never stayed same. It changed sometime it showered with happiness but other times it drenched you in sorrow. Kiran had loved her father her whole life, then came Adiraj and managed to make his spot and then, digvijay. She loved all three of them but when she lost her dad. It broke a part of her heart which will never mend.

She was happy that they managed to find their peace in his last moments. He was down with pneumonia, a mild case but some sixth sense had warned him and he called her. When she came into the hospital room, he was fine, sitting on his bed drinking soup. She had sat down on visitor couch waiting for him to finish but he had given the soup back to nurse and gestured her to sit on his bed.

She had moved and sat down. Slowly he had raised his hand to the scar on her head and said,'' There are two things I have done in this life which seems to standout, one good, one very bad, good was that I gave life to you, my daughter. You were everything a father could ask for, brilliant, obedient, caring and loving.''

Kiran looked into his eyes as she listened quietly, he had never praised her before like this in his life.

He continued,'' and second when I hit you, the worst moment of my life. But I am very prideful man, I knew I did wrong but I could not say sorry. But now I want to apologize because I have so many regrets when it comes to you that I don't want to die carrying this baggage. ' He didn't cry but his voice carried his sorrow, she leaned against his hand and then, kissed it,'' dad.''

He watched his daughter who had now a son of her own,'' why did you grew up so quickly?'' he whispered, he wished she was the little girl who would listen only to him, wished he was the only man she loved.

He whispered,'' Kiran, you were meant to brighten this world like sun rays letting everyone know your brilliance but he wasted you.''

She closed her eyes, he still couldn't forgive Adiraj for marrying her and then, stopping her from pursuing a career, ' I am happy dad. I don't want more, you all are enough for me.'' She tried to explain her feelings.

His eyes were sad as he sighed and pulled his hand away from her,'' I know you are happy. Forgive this old man, he can't let go of his broken dreams. I am tired now, I need to sleep. We will talk later. I want to meet digvijay, bring him here tomorrow.''

Kiran nodded and got up. She planned to bring her son tomorrow but she never got the chance, her father died that night with his broken dreams.