Ch 37 : Accepting my humanity

It was like Adiraj had come to peace with himself. From that day onward his condition started to improve. He set an aim to be walking by the end of six months and nothing could stop him. He coaxed, threatened, and charmed his doctors to go along with his wishes.

Kiran now freely attended her meetings, but she preferred to work from home as much as possible. She had set up an office on ground floor, so that She could be there if Adiraj needed her.

She half expected Adiraj to come into office to see what she was up to, or ask for reports but he didn't. He focussed on getting himself fit and nothing else. she could see the passion in his eyes.

Digvijay had been his distant, snobbish self but what he didn't realise was that his father was a bigger snob. If digvijay was polite to Adiraj, then Adiraj was even politer to him.

The father-son reminded her of a pair of jungle cats circling around trying to mark the territory. Obviously Digvijay was a little baby cat but Adiraj pretended to give him face. Not once forcing him to come to meet him or asking anything of him.

When she went to office, people noticed her relaxed manner and behaviour. She was quick to laugh now. Her mood always jolly. As usual many people speculated at it. They wanted to know the reason behind it.

Adiraj didn't want anyone to know he was back, and Kiran complied with his wishes. She had thought he would try to meet Rahul at least but he had said no. At that moment, she realised that Rahul had been right, Adiraj hated anyone seeing him so vulnerable.

Now, that he was not so vulnerable. He still kept a low profile. When the first time, he walked by himself. She had such a big grin on her face that she felt like her face might have developed lines. But she didnt really care. She had clapped hard for him.

He had stepped toward her raising his arms like a toddler,'' I am tired.''

She had immediately moved forward to hold him, but instead she had found herself in a big bear hug. He had teased her,'' My honey.''

She had bit her lips turning crimson, it felt like it was first he was hugging her. To be truthful, he was not same Adiraj and she was a different woman now.

For so many years, she hadn't looked at a male in interest, her heart belonging to the man in whose arms she was right now.

However, her body had needs, needs which he had awaken in her body but she had learn to ignore them in his absence. She had no other choice, she had to think about how to overcome her competitors, her personal life and pleasures had become the indulgences she simply could not afford.

Now, she looked at him and then, said,'' Should we check with doctors first that it's okay?''

He gave her wolfish grin,'' Why don't we call the pandit (priest) and get a moharat ( auspicious time ) too?''

She hit him on arm turning even redder.

...

Adiraj noticed how Digvijay had frowned on seeing his mother in his arms. His big eyes had looked at the arm Adiraj had looped around her waist.

When Kiran had been about to leave for a meeting, She had leaned and kissed Adiraj on lips. Then, she had straightened and ruffled digvijay's hairs in affection and left. Digvijay had frowned and looked at his toast, he cut it with knife but his brows were raised. He took a peek at Adiraj who was eating the special food prepared by dietician.

Afterward, Adiraj went to the sitting room where he set up the xbox, went live and started playing his favourite game.

Digvijay who had his day off wandered over to see what he was doing. He sat on a sofa staring at screen.

Adiraj asked without taking his eyes off the screen,'' Want to join?''

Digvijay,'' I haven't played this one.''

Adiraj,'' Try.''

Digvijay picked up the second remote and started playing.

...

Kiran noticed how Adiraj was slowly winning over his son and he did it effortlessly. Digvijay noticed everything Adiraj did with keen eyes. Adiraj started to pick and drop Digvijay to school by himself.

Slowly from strangers they were becoming acquaintances. One day they were having dinner at balcony, and she had been gazing at Adiraj as he ate; it had always been hard for her to look away from him if he was present. Like he had teased her often in past, it was her hobby to stare at him.

Digvijay had suddenly put his fork and knife down with force. Then, he had demanded from her,'' Mom, do you love me more or dad?''

Adiraj continued eating. Kiran had replied truthfully,'' Of course you.''

Digvijay had looked unsure, ever since he had opened his eyes and started recognising the world, his mom had been his, her whole attention always focussed on him but now she kept looking at dad, not even sparing him a glance.

Adiraj finished his food and waited for all of them to finish. Then, he got up and came and sat down on floor next to digvijay's chair. He stared into his son's eyes and told him firmly,'' for me or your mom; you are the most important person in this world. What we feel for each other is different but remember no matter what you are our priority.''

Digvijay had been surprised at the way he had sat down on floor. Now he listened quietly.

Adiraj spoke again,'' when you were baby, I would sit next to you and you would wrap yourself around my shoulder and I would become your plane, your phony, your car whatever you wanted. Now, you are turning 8 soon, but even if you turned 28, I would be ready to come and sit here so I can be your plane, your toy.''

Digvijay had nodded. Then demanded, Adiraj get him a drone. Adiraj had smiled.

In morning when Digvijay woke up, his room had been filled with every type of drone commercially available.

Kiran had laughed at the look of amazement on her son's face. He had looked at her as if seeking confirmation that he was not dreaming. She had walked out of Adiraj's arm and hugged her son closer to her and whispered in his ear,'' Your dad doesn't do things on small scale. Next time specify what and how much you want.''

Digvijay had nodded and then, to her surprise he had gone over to Adiraj and hugged him.

Adiraj had tears in his eyes as he hugged his son back.

...