5. Paige

When I had moved all of my boxes inside, I realized that I was going to need help to move my heavy furniture inside. I locked the trailer and decided to take a walk around town to see what it was like around here. I started off, walking with a little confidence. No one here knew me. I wasn't the damaged, disgusting girl I was back in Delaware. Here I was Paige Davenport, even the name change gave me a little bit of hope. I quickly made it into the heart of Derry, and looked around before deciding to go into the diner to my left. It wasn't too busy. There were a couple of groups in there, no one was alone like me. In the very corner of the diner was a group bigger than the rest. And sure enough, there was the boy I saw earlier, except now his shirt had wet patches and his hair was all messy, they must have went swimming. As I entered, the little bell rang and the whole groups eyes turned towards me. There was the red-haired girl snuggled up against one of the boys and they ate now. Stanley looked towards his other friend, the one with the big glasses who was already looking at him. I walked up to the counter to order and I sat down at one of the stools. "Stanley, how about you go get some napkins for us!" The other boy basically shouted. "Richie! Do you have to be so damn L-l-loud?" One of the boys said, at about the same level of loud. So Richie was the other ones name. As I heard someone getting closer to me, I noticed the napkin dispenser was next to me. Stanley, stood about as far away as he could to me. He whispered something, and I turned to him. "Did you say something?" He looked alarmed that I had said something to him. "Oh. No. I mean. Yes. I asked if you were the new girl in town." He said nervously. I smiled at him "Oh, ya, I just moved here today from Delaware." A little smile spread across his face, and he spoke up again "I'm Stanley, Stanley Uris." He was so cute. "I'm Paige Davenport." The waiter brought my milkshake to the counter. "Here you are miss." I turned to him "Thank you much." I grabbed it and took a sip, facing back towards Stanley. "Ummm, well I don't think you wanna sit with us and a bunch of teenage boys but if you do you can come sit at our table." The offer threw me back a little. No one back in Selbyville would have offered that to me in a million years. But that was Paige Adams, not Paige Davenport. "Sure, I would like that. I hopped off the stool and grabbed my drink and followed him. He made eye contact with the other boy, Richie and mouthed something I didn't catch. Stanley pulled up a chair at the end of the big booth and stood behind it, waiting to push it in like a gentleman, as I sat down he started talking. "Guys, this is Paige, she just moved in down the street from Bill. Paige, this is Richie, Eddie, Mike, Ben, Bill and Beverly." Richie spoke up first "It's nice to meet you Paige." The rest of them chorused the same thing after him. Stanley pushed in my chair for me and sat down next to Richie. "So, Paige where are you from?" One boy, I think it was Ben asked. "Ummm, Selbyville Delaware.' I said and nodded. "Cool! Will you be going to school with us?" Eddie asked me. This time I shook my head no. "I have my GED, I got it as soon as i turned 16." Their faces turned surprised. "Your parents let you do that?" I decided to not tell them. "Umm.. Yah.." I took a big drink of my milkshake. "Ya, I noticed you pulled up by yourself, where are your parents?" Richie asked. I got nervous now. "Oh, they had some work to finish up in Selbyville, so they'll be up soon." I said, confidently. I remembered the heavy stuff I needed help moving. "Hey, do you guys wanna help me with something?" I asked and Stanley spoke up quickly "Sure!" Richie rolled his eyes. "I have a bunch of heavy stuff that I need help getting out of my trailer. Do you guys wanna help me get it inside? I'll pay your icecream bill in exchange. Richie instantly spoke up at that. "That'd be great!" We finished eating, and as I went to pay, Stanley followed me, and the rest of them went outside. I payed quickly and Stanley and I walked out. The boys walked their bikes with me. Stanley stood next me, but I didn't know what to say. And neither did he apparently. I never really had friends back home. Richie and Eddie caught up to us pretty quickly and both me and Stanley relaxed. "So, why did you guys choose Derry?" Eddie asked, seeming kind of confused. "I read somewhere that it had the highest disapearance rate in the U.S., seemed like the place to go if you want to disappear." I shrugged. Eddie, Richie and Stanley shuddered. "You guys okay?" I asked, scared I had already upset them, that would be just like me. "Yah, some bad stuff stuff happened summer of 89, but we're pretty much over it. Sorry." Stanley spoke quickly. So, they obviously didn't want to talk about that. With that we had reached my new house. "I left the key to the trailer inside, I'll be right back." The boys stopped in the tracks, and I walked into my house.