8

I might have mentioned Ardashir instead of Ahsan in some places. I have edited them but if you find them by any chance, please do point it out. Thanks!

❇❇❇❇❇

'Mom, did you get me a phone?' Ahsan asked looking at the ceiling while his mother shifted in the chair, cutting an apple for Ahsan.

'No, betay. I didn't get time, between you and home to buy it. I'll get you one as soon as possible. Why do you even need it?' Ayesha questioned, passing him a few slices of apple.

'I need to call the office and ask them for a leave, can't possibly travel in this condition.' He paused, raising his head from the pillow to look at his frail body and he hadn't heard from Armineh. He needed to talk to her and preferably, see her.

'-And I need to call Armineh. I need to apologize. I know I haven't been conscious a lot but did she call? Visited?' Ahsan asked, pinning his silvery gaze on his mother as he sat up straighter while Ayesha fiddled with her hands.

Ayesha put the plate aside, meeting his eyes. 'Yes- Yes, She did but you should know something, first. Please, understand I have been keeping it away from you for your own benefit.' Ayesha said, pulling the chair close to the bed as she took his hand in her own.

'Mom, you are worrying me. Is she okay? Did something happen to her? Is- Is Sabeeha Aunty, okay? Alizeh, Imad, Sa-Sara, are they fine?

When Ayesha didn't reply. He continued, looking for his mother's phone on the side tables.

'Give me your phone, mom. I'll apologize to her and we'll do the Nikkah today if she wishes it. I'll do what I can right no-.'

Ahsan halted as Ayesha dabbed at her eyes with the hem of her dupatta and her grip on his hands, tightened.

'Mom, what's wrong. You are really scaring me. Please, say something.' Ahsan said covering, taking his mother hands in his large ones. His eyebrows knitted in confusion as he saw his mother fighting back her tears.

'Betay, You can't marry her, now.'

If Ahsan didn't know better, he would have thought someone had punched him in the gut as he pulled his hands and inched away from his mother.

'Mom, Are you kidding me? How could you say that?' Ahsan's face turned red with anger as he spoke slowly, he didn't want to raise his voice on his mother just because of some misunderstanding.

'Betay, You can't marry her. She will not marry you.' Ayesha said, forcefully.

'Mom, why are speaking in riddles? Just please tell me as it is. Did she say something? Did you say something, why?' He asked when Ayesha nodded, again, truly worried now. His eyebrows furrowed as he watched his mother in concern.

'Because she is already married.' Ayesha didn't look up at her son. She didn't want to see him break, it was one thing she had hated the most and this time around, she had been the one to bring it down on his son.

'What?' Ahsan almost shouted he couldn't believe his ears.

'Mom, did you say she is already married?'

'I called and called but you didn't pick up your phone and then when you did, I only caught I am not before the line dropped. There was a lot of noise, betay and I understood as you weren't coming, that you no longer wanted to marry her but I didn't believe it until he came.'