28

'Go.' Yahya Firas told Armineh as they walked through the entrance of the hotel towards the booked hall. His eyes fixed on the pair of his twin brothers huddled in the other corner, away from the entrance.

'Can I wait for you?' Armineh breathed. She knew he wouldn't agree but she just couldn't refrain herself from asking.

'No.' He said, turning away from her.

'What happened?' He asked as he came to stop beside them and pat Amaan's back when he was whispering something near his twin brother's ears.

'He says he's going to propose to her during dinner.' Amaan explained, vexed.' Tell him, it's a very bad idea.'

'I don't get it. I want people to know who I am proposing- who I want to marry, spend my whole life with. Why wouldn't I do it, then? What's the big deal?'Anaam asked, his voice rising with every word, gesturing with his hands.

'Calm down. Do you want her to know before it happens?'

'She's not here, yet.' Anaam told Yahya Firas with searching eyes as he pushed his brothers aside. He would have seen her if she was, his eyes shifting from face to another. She wasn't the one to be missed.

'Are you sure?' Yahya Firas inquired, looking at the guests gathered in the hall. He smacked his lips together, when his eyes found her again. She was ethereal, his lips upturned at one corner as he found himself staring at her when she bowed her head to take blessings from an elderly lady.

'What are you smiling about?' Yahya Firas's face turned serious as he glanced at his brother.

'Why don't you worry about your problem and not focus on the reasons behind my imaginary smile.' Yahya Firas spoke, irked as he hurriedly looked away from the hall.

'We both know it wasn't imaginary and I am going to do it, either way. I have already asked the waiter to drop the ring in her juice.'

'And you know she'll order the juice, how? Also, how are you so sure, she'll agree? One more thing, do you think, it's safe, hiding the ring in her juice? What if she swallows it?' Amaan inquired, peering at his brother's face and Yahya had to agree those were some good questions.

'Stop poking fun at me and trying to ruin my fool proof plan.' Anaam asserted as he pulled at the collars of his dress shirt and dabbled a tissue to his clammy forhead, his heart pounding in his chest,'Nothing will happen. She's a doctor so she can't be stupid but you are proving yourself to be one by asking these questions.' He pointed a finger at his twin brother,'You both are muddling my brain. I am already nervous as it is, please.'

'Seriously, Anaam? Think about Armineh.'

The statement begged Yahya Firas's attention as he stared at his brother, waiting for the answer.

'Excuse me?' Yahya Firas spoke with eyebrows quirked.

Why would Anaam think about his wife?

Anaam looked from Yahya Firas to Amaan. Why would he think about his sister-in-law, he had more important matters to worry about.

'Why?'

'Yes, why?'

'Come on! You selfish fuck. She's being introduced as a member of our family, today. Let her bask in the attention as Yahya Firas's wife for, sometime.'

'Don't worry, my girl won't steal Armineh's spotlight, brothers. She can do it all she wants, swim in it for all I care but I am doing it.' Anaam stated, his eyes no longer on his brothers,' Rejoice! I am giving people all the more reason to celebrate this day.' He said, walking away from them.