Deleted Scene # 5

Chapter 46

He tore a hand through his messy hair and winced when the IV needle shifted under his skin. He brought his hand down to glance at a prick forming into a ghastly bruise.

Armineh folded their prayer mats after making dua, she rose and turned around to find him inspecting his hand. Her heart ready to burst with joy in her chest, she couldn't believe he had led their prayers.

"Meray saath namaaz parhain gi?"

Armineh put the prayer mats in one of the cupboards and then, stalked to pull the shutter up, allowing the evening light to wash in the room.

"So, what did the doctor say? When am I being discharged?"He asked, referring to her meeting with doctor in the morning. This had been his first ever attempt at conversation, again and he was back to his distant, aloof self. Not that they talked, a lot before but he almost seemed embarrassed as he refused to look at her.

"In a day or two," Armineh picked the newspaper from the coffee table.

"Still, a day or two? What am I going to be here for a week, now?" Armineh breathed when she saw him looking ahead, at the white wall instead of her, again.

"Mhmm."

"Just ask the doctor to discharge me as soon as possible." Yahya Firas stated as his eyes trailed behind Armineh, she couldn't see.

She had kept the newspaper, aside, there was nothing new since she had skimmed all the news in the morning and made her way to his bed before making a pit stop at the mini refrigerator.

Her features were pulled into an angry frown. Honestly, he was worse than a kid.

"No, I won't. Do you have any idea about the volume of alcohol you had consumed in the following weeks, after?" Armineh shook her head," Do you realize the implications of your actions? You fainted, Yahya Firas. You fell unconscious... in... in my arms,"Armineh blushed to her roots,"You could have been paralyzed... You could have died so no, I won't ask the doctor to discharge you because your request hardly makes any sense with the condition that you're still in. There's nothing more important to me and your family than your health, right now and if he wants you here for a month, that's where you will be. Make some more doctor friends, why don't you?" Armineh finished with a glare as she held a package of juice to him.

"What's your problem? Take it, it's red grapes." Armineh was exasperated with his antics. He hadn't been awake for a lot of time and he had managed to aggravate her. "And while you're at it, Just look at me."

"I don't want to." Yahya Firas grumbled as he took the package from her, still not looking at her even as she stood by his bedside.

"Why?" Armineh inquired, softly.

I am afraid of what I might see. I am afraid, now that I have told you my secrets, you won't look at me the same.

"I am- I don't want to." Yahya Firas shifted, a little, unintentionally making room for Armineh as she sat beside him.

She pulled at his hand when he was about to shove it in his hair, a sign of obvious discomfort, she grasped it between her hands.

"This must hurt." Armineh caressed the bruised flesh, brushing over the snarling veins of his clenched fist. Her hold tightened when he tried to free his hand.