The Break-up

The next week or so, I'm actually not sure how long it was, I stayed right by Kyle's side. Unmoving. It gave me a lot of time to think. I need to become better. So much better. Stronger. I'm nowhere near good enough.

Some of our classmates came to visit. By the time Wendy did, I had something to tell her.

Not even looking at her just staring at Kyle's pale face I said, "I'm breaking up with you. And this time, forever. I'm sorry, but I need to focus on my job. I'm not good enough to protect him, Wendy." I said, misty eyed. "If he gives me another chance; I need to dedicate my life to it." A few stray tears slide down my face. Wendy put a hand on my shoulder, and rubbed it in circles gently. I looked up at her and she nodded at me. It seemed like she understood. She walked out of the room quietly.

A couple more days of painful waiting and Kyle finally awoke. I knelt next to his bedside. Head looking down.

"S-Stan?" he said, his voice was pained, it sounded helpless, like a kitten's. It's diminished quality hitting me like an avalanche. Kyle should never sound weak. Ever. Especially not because of me.

"Yes, my King." I said, still staring at the floor below me. It was a flat pool of dirty grey liquid trying to draw me in.

"King?" he said sounding dazed. "I'm not the King." There was an awful pause. "Stan. Stan please don't tell me I'm King!" The kitten was now scratching, claws open, desperate, pained. I said nothing, only stared at the dark dessert below me. I could hear Kyle crying above me. I wanted desperately to wrap him up in my arms; protect him from the outside world. But clearly, I have been too focused on being his friend and not enough on being his protector. This friendship can't continue. I'm his solider. His warrior. Not his companion. It should have been that way from the start. I got distracted. Forgot my purpose. I swore to protect him and keep him from harm. Look at what the fuck happened!

Reluctantly I walked away; my slow footsteps echoing the dying pulse of my heart. As the distance between us grew water filled the gap. We were separate now. Two separate islands. "Stan? Stan. Stan!" Kyle yelled after me. I turned around at the doorway.

"I'm not Stan. I'm a warrior. Address me as such." I then stood solemnly at the door. At full alert, glancing at Kyle every few minutes, but ignoring his pleas.

It had been about a week since Kyle had woken up. As soon as he was well enough the coronation had occurred. They wanted to do it immediately when he had woken up. But I had glared so brutally at the man who was suggested that that the coronation didn't happen until Kyle was at full strength. I knelt at his side as the crown was placed on his head. He'd stood tall and hadn't shown any signs of weakness. He'd given the drow elves a rousing speech about unity and resilience. He'd effectively calmed the people. In his own way as well, with emotions, and the elves had loved it. I'd felt so proud of my friend, yet I hadn't been able to say anything to him. I didn't even give him a smile.

I was busy slashing at a straw dummy pretending it was Cartman. When I wasn't one hundred percent sure Kyle was safe I was right by his side. Taste testing his food and at his side, constantly watching over him. At night I watched Kyle sleep. Not that he knew about it. The King, Queen and Ike were all murdered while sleeping. That wasn't happening to Kyle.

Whenever I was sure he was safe, though to be honest I never surely could be, I was on a non-stop training program. Quick breaks for food and water. Apart from that endless training.

I heard Kyle walk in and immediately knelt before him. "Stan, get up." I ignored him. "Warrior I order you to stand!" The pain in his voice hit me harder than it was hitting him. I rose slowly, looking him straight in the eyes. He hadn't really talked to me except to inform me that I was now the head of the army. "Stan, can you stop this? Please? If you really cared about me, about my mental health, you'd stop it! It hurts Stan, this, not being able to talk to you, is physically hurting me! Will you fucking quit it!" the anger and hurt in his voice was highly evident. "Don't you think I've been through enough? You remember how hard it was, right? Don't you remember needing a friend!" he said a couple tears gathering in his eyes. "A super best friend?" I did, I did remember needing a friend. I was so close to breaking down and wrapping him in a hug. But I also knew Kyle would come to me like this. If I want him survive it has to be this way. I need him to hate me. I can't have him protecting me like that again. I said nothing and just stared into his eyes. He spun around and stormed out the room.

Kyle was sleeping soundly. Breathing gently up and down. I was at peace just knowing he was alright. I had the urge to hug him though. Hold him in my arms. I'd lost that privilege though. I lost it when I failed him.

Suddenly, I couldn't move. Paralysed. From the neck down. I couldn't speak, shout, yell. The assassins. It must be the assassins. Kyle's going to die and I can't do anything!

Xxx

I'm sorry to any Stendy shippers. Then again, why would you be here? Unless you're  multishipper, but in that case you probably like Style too. Sorry everything got so angsty and also sorry about the cliff hanger. I'd love some feedback so comments are always welcome and please leave a vote if you enjoyed. Have an awesome day~