The Bond

"Stan, Stan calm down. It's just me." Said Kyle's voice soft and soothing. A gentle melody calming the waves of my mind. My feet started walking towards Kyle's bed against their will. For fucks' sake. "I tried to get you to see reason. But you didn't. So, I'm sorry, but I have to violate your privacy." I was starting to get what was happening as I lay down in his bed next to him and Kyle snuggled up next to me, hugging me tightly. "I knew you were watching me sleep since day one, and that was comforting. But I think I'm actually going to break down if you don't start showing me affection. So, this fake shit will have to do. Sorry dude. Also, you look awful and you need some sleep." Kyle yawned, "so as your King, and friend, I'm taking matters into my own hands. I just want my best friend back. I had to lose my family. Please don't make me lose you too." Was the last thing he said into my neck as we fell asleep. I think a little part of my heart broke.

I woke up to a stoic, determined looking Kyle hovering above me. I still couldn't move, so I was just going to have to deal with him.

"We need to get some stuff straight dude. I know you're avoiding me because you feel guilty that I saved your life. You're upset because I put my life in danger for yours, right?" I nodded. "Well I wouldn't have survived if you hadn't been there did you think of that? I couldn't have taken out that many on my own and how would I have got back to the castle? We, you and I, were both stupid for not bringing guards. And being in the woods in the first place for that matter. My Mom would never have let us go if she knew. But I know I'm missing the point. You think you'll do a better job as a body guard if we aren't so emotionally attached, right? Well did you ever think about what I want? My whole family are dead Stan. You're all I have left. Life involves risk. You want to become a better bodyguard then fine become one. I don't care. You're already amazing. But if you want a better ruler for this country, if you want me to be happy and trust you then come back to me. Stan, I can't do this shit without you. You want me to live, right? Well I don't feel like I'm currently living without you by my side." I felt myself being released from Kyle's grip. I relaxed into the bed. Kyle continued to stare down at me. Desperation in his eyes like none other.

I pulled him into a hug and started cradling him in my arms like I'd been craving to since before he woke up. "I'm sorry Kyle. I guess I didn't realise I meant that much to you. I guess I was also thinking of you the King, not you the guy. I don't really know. I just," I paused, "if I lost you, I don't know what I'd do." Kyle nodded in agreement.

"Same Stan, but since I woke up it has felt like I've lost you. Please don't do it again. Promise?" I nodded and resolutely held Kyle in an iron grip. "Stan, we need to get up. We have responsibilities." I shook my head. "Okay five more minutes, no longer." He said firmly and I smiled.

As we were eating I broached a question that had been on my mind a while. "Kyle, is there any way you, or someone else, can teach me magical defence?" Kyle bit his lip.

"It's really difficult if you don't have a naturally affinity for it. There is a way, but it's really dangerous."

"Well, what is it?" I said really curious now. Why hasn't he mentioned it before?

"I can connect you to me, telepathically. But, there needs to be a really strong bond between us. Otherwise it will really damage your mind. At its worst kill you." I nodded solemnly in response. Makes sense that he hadn't mentioned it before.

"So, does the fact that you're telling me mean you think we're ready?" Kyle nodded quietly.

"I have for a while. People have survived with weaker bonds than ours. I guess the back of my mind was always worried about you. But given recent developments I think it's in our best interests. As long as you don't object." I nodded at him, clearly showing my consent. "We should head to my room. It's safer to do it somewhere I feel comfortable."

When we're eventually sitting on the floor in his room Kyle still looks really nervous and uncomfortable. "There's one more thing I feel I should mention before we do this. In most cases, the telepathic bond tends to be formed by married couples. Which makes this super fucking gay. Usually Elves which have weak to no magical ability form a bond with their spouse to offer themselves another layer of protection." Kyle's cheeks were as red as his robe. I just laughed.

"You said usually right? Besides, if this means I can better protect you I don't care." Kyle smiled, still blushing slightly.

"Okay, well I should probably go over what exactly this is. It basically lets you tap into my magic supply. You could theoretically become a wizard yourself but that would really deplete my supply, so I'll just teach you simply things like how to defend yourself against various attacks. We'll also be able to talk to each other telepathically and know one another's locations, but only when the other wants that knowledge shared. So, for example, if I wanted to tell you to come find me I'd picture you and send the thought. You kinda send out a homing signal. It's kind of hard to explain, but it will hopefully make more sense later."

"Cool dude, now that I think about, I think I remember talking to Wendy about this stuff." I laugh cynically. "She said when we were older we'd 'make the bond' I didn't quite get what she meant at the time." Kyle suddenly froze beside me.

"Why didn't I think of that! Stan, of course you should do this with Wendy!"

"No way dude! We broke up!"

"Well, then whenever you guys get back together!"

"We're not getting back together!"

"Stan, dude, come on. You always say that, and then you always do." Said Kyle giving me a look.

"Yeah well this time is different."

"How? Wait, why did you guys even break up anyway?"

"Because of you..." I said quietly.

"Me?! Stan, was this during the period of time when you went kind of psycho?" I said nothing. "Oh jeez. Right, I'll help the two of you get back together and then-"

"No!" I cut Kyle off.

"No?" he questioned back sounding more than a little annoyed.

"I broke it off to protect you. Doing this with you means I can offer more protection to you, more protection to my King. Kyle, that's my job!" Kyle went a little red and stopped arguing with me.

Aftera short pause he said, "fine, let's do this."