-Chapter Nine-

Katrina

I didn't hesitate to leave after Jamie was dragged out and the girls let me go. I went upstairs to my room, not bothering to lock the door when I shut it. I just sank to the floor and leaned against the bed, sitting in the darkness as I try to wrap my head around what just happened. And how I'm feeling.

The biggest thing I suppose is...relief. I had screamed out everything I had wanted to say to him for the past six years, except 'why?'. But I could live without knowing that answer. Just getting all of that anger and hurt off my chest made me feel free...and I felt even more so after finally accepting his rejection. Like floating on water instead of drowning in it.

I had always feared that severing the bond with him would hurt me more then I already had been. But I guess I was wrong...and I wish I had done it sooner. I sigh, dropping my chin to my chest as I close my eyes.

I sit in the dark for what seems like a lifetime, when in reality it was only a few minutes. Just as I feel myself drifting into sleep, the sound of my door opening wakes me up, along with the soft footsteps accompanied by the scent that's been invading my dreams. I keep my eyes closed until I feel him stop, and a hand gently brushes across my knee.

I open my eyes to find Seth directly in front of me, his tall frame crouching to the floor between my legs. His blue depths are full of mixed emotions, complex and swirling as he holds my gaze. I want to ask him to hold me in his arms, to stay with me until the sunrise and after that...but, considering all that's happened tonight... I don't know if he would even want to.

"Katrina..."

That voice. That damn, deep, sexy voice. It always throws me off my game.

"Please talk to me, my love."

"I-I don't know what to say..." I respond in a whisper, my voice barely audible.

"I'm sorry angel, you deserve so much better than that."

"You sound so...certain..."

His eyes seem to glow brighter, easily the brightest thing in the room.

"I am, and I'm willing to prove it to you."

"How..." My voice breaks, and his face softens.

"How do I know you won't reject me as well?" I reply, staring at the handsome Alpha who has somehow made it past my walls. He reaches a hand towards me, gently caressing my cheek and tracing down my neck. I can't help the sigh that escapes from me as the sparks erupt under his touch.

He presses his lips to my ear, his warm breath giving me goosebumps.

"I have waited and searched for you for eight years, Angel. Now that I have you in my arms, I'm never letting you go."

I lean into his touch, his large hand cupping my face as if I am the most fragile thing in the universe.

"You promise...Seth?"

His hand moves to cup the back my head, using it to press my forehead to his, and hold my eyes.

"I promise."

That's it. That's all it takes for what remains of my fears to melt away. I feel the the pull of the mate bond tug me forward, and I turn my head the slightest bit to the left, hesitantly leaning in that last inch. He follows suit, and it isn't long before his lips meld with mine. Warm, gentle, comforting caresses that start to mend my heart a little. A soft rumble emits from his chest as I trail my hands up to his shoulders, my fingers slightly brushing the bit of exposed skin.