-Chapter Twenty-

Seth

"I promise you Seth, if you need our help we've got your back."

Alpha Alex assures as we finish up the business part of our meeting, moving on to more personal conversation. I'm admittedly grateful I haven't run into that disgraceful Beta of his, because frankly it wouldn't be very pleasant for anyone if I did...especially not for him.

"That's good to hear, with the threat that Alpha poses, any pack close by is in danger."

My mind flickers back to Katrina, and as much as she was teasing me about my offer to leave later...I could see the silent worry in her beautiful lavender eyes. She didn't like the idea of me leaving, and frankly neither did I...she doesn't want me wandering in potentially dangerous territory as much as I didn't want to leave her at home. As much as I know she is fully capable of taking care of herself, and Tyron is there to back her up, my Gamma was severely injured and is out of commission...which means there are less people who can cover her back while I'm not there.

"Earth to Seth?"

I snap out of my thoughts at Alex's voice, the curious and concerned expression on his face clearly meaning I've been absent from the conversation much longer than I realized.

"Sorry, I was deep in thought." I admit, and he nods.

"I could tell, what were you thinking about so hard? You looked troubled."

I sigh. "Katrina...with my Gamma out of commission, I couldn't leave Tyron alone to lead the pack in a time like this, so she had to stay."

He leans back in his chair, a twitch in his mouth clearly stating he guessed I was thinking about my mate.

"I would say I understand, but considering I haven't found my mate yet I really can't. How is Katrina by the way? Still kicking ass and stirring up trouble I presume?"

I chuckle, I temporarily forgot that Alex has known Katrina since they were little.

"Yep, though she seems to enjoy kicking mine whenever she sees an opportunity to."

We both laugh, a knowing look on Alex's face.

"That sounds like her, she's been raising hell since she was knee high...I don't think that's ever gonna change..."

He rubs his mouth, something seeming to upset him all of a sudden.

"But I bet that all this has been bringing back painful memories for her...being that rogues have caused her so much pain two different times in her life already."

Me and my wolf Damien perk up at that. Two times? I know the death of her father was the first...but what happened the second time?

"Twice? What do you mean by that?"

He looks a bit surprised, then realization fills his expression.

"She hasn't told you...I suppose that isn't surprising. She doesn't like to talk about either event much."

Narrowing my eyes, I lean forward, resting my elbows on my knees.

"What happened?"

My voice has a edge to it, and he catches it immediately.

"It was a long time ago...about four years after she lost her father. She was put in the home for orphan pups, actually, that's where she first met and became friends with Adrienne."

My eyes widen, a lot of pieces about my mate and her sister finally clicking into place. It's why she was so quickly attached to little Avery...because at one point in her life, her and her sister Adrienne were Avery.