02

As soon as my eyes met those piercing green eyes memories came flooding back to me.

“Annaleise, Annaleise, guess whose going to ask you to the summer fete?” My friend Georgiana came up to me during our free period.

“Who?” I looked around me bewildered.

She laughed. “Harry Styles. Shh, he’s coming this way.”

I looked over and sure enough the tall boy with the unruly hair was coming our way. He looked nervous as he switched his bag from shoulder to shoulder.

“Annaleise, can I talk to you alone?” Georgiana ran off, probably to tell our other friends what was going on.

“Um, sure, everything alright, Harry?”

He paused a minute, considering his question. “Do you want to go to the summer fete with me? It’s this weekend after end of term.”

I looked at him. He had never given a thought to me before; he had always been flirting with other girls, usually blondes. Our headmaster was always reprimanding him. I narrowed my eyes. “Is this a joke, Harry? You’ve never given me a thought before, why all of the sudden now.”

He seemed surprised. “Oh, okay, then. Sorry for bothering you.”

“Wait, Harry,” I called as he turned to walk away. “I’ll go with you.”

It was history after that. We shared our first kiss during the summer fete and that summer was the best summer of my life. I remember running with him in the park during August and counting how many fireflies we could each catch in one go. We lay down in the grass and counted the stars once the sunset.

“How many do you think there are?” I asked him.

“An infinite amount. One for each day that I will love you, Annaleise,” he said.

I gasped looking at him. He pulled me to him, searching my eyes. “I love you,” he had said.

“I love you too.” And at 13, I truly did love him.

“Annaleise?” His husky voice said again. He had changed but he still looked the same. His hair was still unruly and his eyes were as bright green as ever. He had grown a bit taller from what I remember and his skin was now covered in tattoos.

“It’s Archer now,” I managed to say. Holy hell. What was going on?

“Sorry, Archer,” he said my name a bit uncomfortably, “I didn’t know anyone would be standing on the opposite side of the door.