13

August 2008

“Harry! That’s illegal and you can get in trouble for it!” I exclaimed.

He kissed me. “You’re so good, Annaleise. But live a little bit. There’s nothing wrong with doing this every one in a while. Just try it.”

He held out the white thing that closely resembled a cigarette but it smelled different. Hesitantly I took it from him. “How do I do it?”

He took it back from me. “Watch me.” He inhaled deeply and held the smoke in for a few seconds before exhaling it.

I mimicked his action once he handed me the rolled up thing.

I coughed once the smoke hit my lungs and spluttered, exhaling it with my coughs.

Harry laughed and rubbed my back, soothing me as I recovered. “Interesting,” I said, feeling funny all of a sudden.

“Do you feel anything?” He asked. Most people don’t feel it the first few times.

“Um, sort of? What am I supposed to feel like?”

“You know cotton wool? I kind of feel like my brain is covered in cotton wool, once I’ve smoked. My body gets a bit light too. It’s different for everyone, though.”

I nodded. My body felt light and my stomach turned.

“Annaleise? You look really pale,” he held my chin in his hand, looking into my eyes.

“Harry? I don’t feel so –“ I didn’t have time to finish my sentence before I turned and emptied to contents of my stomach on the ground next to us.

“I’m so sorry!” I cried, covering my mouth.

He tried to hide the repulsed look on his face. “It’s okay, sometimes that happens. Um, let’s get you a drink and something to eat.”

I followed him as we left the park. We stopped at a corner shop and he bought me a fizzy water and some crisps and we headed back to the park where we sat in silence as I munched away.

“These taste really good today,” I commented, shoveling a handful of the crisps in my mouth.

He laughed. “Maybe you are a bit high. You seem to have the munchies.”

“Munchies?” I asked, crisps falling out of my mouth. I wiped the crumbs away and took a long sip of the fizzy water. “My mouth is so dry.”