10

A/N: This scene contains some graphic and uncomfortable topics. I in no way condone the topics covered in this chapter and if you have any issues with anything, please private message me. 

I drove towards Cost’s house slowly, remembering the few but wonderful times we did spend with each other. After Latimer Villa had gotten cancelled after two seasons, I was almost 19 and still fresh in the acting scene. But I had a good agent, Lizzy’s dad, Nolan Richards, had put me in touch with executives at the CW who were interested in using me on their new show after they had seen me in Latimer Villa.

The premise to the show was similar to that of my previous work, but this time the story took place in California as opposed to Florida. Oh, I could spot the difference now. But I went with it and was invited to do the screen test for a few scenes with the male who had been cast at the leading role.

His name was Cost Lemoyne and that’s how I first met him. He had done some action movies but was looking to do something a bit more laid-back and permanent, thus him being cast on what they dubbed as the ‘Californian’ version of Jane Austen novels. They wanted to introduce a cast of fresh-faced characters and interweave story lines to match popular Austen characters. Okay, now this sounded a bit better.

I was supposed to be play ‘Jolie’ who I presumed was supposed to resembled Elizabeth Bennet, but a much more hip version even if my character was a bookworm with the fashion sense of a hipster – that would not work in Jane Austen’s world.

Cost had been cast as ‘D’Arcy’ who quite obviously was supposed to resemble Fitzwilliam Darcy. Cost was really good at acting and it was quite obvious to the producers that we had really good onscreen and off-screen chemistry. We filmed the pilot after we had met the rest of the cast and before I knew it, ‘Winchester Heights’ had been given the green light.

It wasn’t until the first season wrapped that Cost and I were approached regarding dating. The producers didn’t necessarily want to push it, but it was highly suggested for our benefit and for the ratings of the show. And if the show had higher ratings, the more seasons it was likely to get renewed.

February 2014

I smiled at Cost. “This is pretty awkward isn’t it, them forcing us to date.”

“Well, they don’t have to force me to date such a pretty girl as yourself.” He had said, coming over and sitting next to me.

I blushed. It still felt awkward to be called pretty even after all this time.

“You are so cute when you get nervous,” he said.

I went to respond and he had silenced me with his lips. He was a nice kisser, it felt a bit weird since it was forced almost, but there was no spark. I didn’t want myself wanting more of him like I had with other people in the past. I kissed him back, hoping maybe if I put a little more into it, maybe I might feel something.

I pulled away and offered him a half smile. He pulled me close to him, wrapping his arm around me. “It’s just for show, Archer. We can probably date for a few months, get the ratings up and just say that we agreed we were better off as friends. No harm, no foul.”